Chapter Twenty-Six

TWENTY-SIX            

(Kit's P.O.V)

             Kit rubbed her hands together melodically, no because they were dirty but because she was deeply afraid. Afraid that her end was reaching closer and closer. She was scared because she could sense a dark shadow crawling across her vision, creeping up the side of her, behind her and near her. She hated it. Hated having the thoughts that something was always watching her.

          She twisted around to look, heart thundering in her chest like a thunderstorm trapped between her brain and her vision. Everything in sight was black and white, red and grey. All she wanted was to see green fields again like that memory she had when she was about five. That memory was the closest things she had to her humanity.

 *

Eleven Years Ago, Age 5.

               "Can you feel it Kit?" The man before her asked. He towered a tall six feet above her shadowed vision. Although she could not see him clearly because he was guarded by open sunlight. She squinted her big eyes to see his face clearly, however it was very useless. "Can you feel the sunshine, feel the green grass?" All she could see was his mouth twist up in a smile as he reached to pluck her one red peony from the ground.

                She reached out as if to grab it but recoiled with a disgusted look on her face. "W-what is it?" She asked helplessly. It was a flower, something she had seen in her time as a Night Walker, but never has she touched one as beautiful as this.

             His smile vanished, "it's a peony Kit. I promise you that in time you'll come to remember them. In time you will never forget, you will always remember seeing this, won't you?" He set the delicate flower on the ground. She watched in satisfaction as her tiny hands clamped around it, all curiousness becoming aware that she was here and experiencing something no other Night Walker would. She was experiencing true nature itself just by feeling this particular thing.

              "It's beautiful." She whispered as she raised it to her nose. The smell was not like she was expecting, it was in turn like a metallic smell, something extremely different. Almost like... blood.

 *

Present time

              The image slipped away before she could remember more. In actual fact, Kit had never seen another red peony after that. She had seen normal and plain looking flowers. But never anything as vibrant and spectacular as that one before. "What's going to happen to me?" She whispered to herself, feeling very lost. In that moment she forgot what she was supposed to be doing. Forgot where it is she was. Forgot who she was. Am I really going to turn into a Hybrid? She thought. Kit shook her head. It was a stupid idea.

             "Kit-?" Something touched her left arm, just on the corner. She turned around, blade in hand, and was just about to swing it into the chest of her attacker when she realized who it was. Sally stood their face a mask of white shock. "Kit!" She said shakily, her eyes widened as Kit withdrew the knife and placed it in her pocket.

                She gasped and turned her head down, "Sally, I'm so sorry! Don’t sneak up on me like that. Ever!" Kit inclined her head towards the door. Great, now she knew where she was. They had to kill Claudius and do it fast. "Sorry..." she trailed off. What would she possibly say?

                Sally only shook her head, "I was looking for you everywhere, and you got passed me and must have wondered off somewhere else. I thought they took you again! Please don't do that again. I know you've been through a lot, he even tortured you."