Chapter Four

THE NIGHT WALKERS

     CHAPTER FOUR

     THE RECKONING

Kit was walking through the darkness and the further she stepped into it, the more she felt as though she were about to drown in the deep foreboding air that cast shadows across her face. Every now and then she'd hear Levi talking to himself, and whenever she turned around to look at him he would stop talking.

"Would you stop talking to yourself?" She shook her head and continued walking. Everywhere she walked she seemed to have absolutely no choice but to look for traps. They may, after all, be any-where she'd least expect it.

He sighed, "Fine, but just letting you know that that's what I do in serious cases of extreme danger. You know the times when you're about to die but don't know it yet?" Kit looked at him funny so he, of course, continued talking, "actually, never mind, no one really understands those particular times. Not really anyway and even though they aren't exactly common to experience them they do –"

"-Seriously Levi, shut up." She hissed under her breath. They'd been walking for the past five minutes since they'd stepped through the door and already Kit was worried someone was watching them. "See that ahead?"

Levi looked at the small clearing and nodded.

"Well, that's the warehouse and we are going in there to investigate." He made an O shape with his mouth and nodded again but this time seemed a bit calmer than he did seconds ago. "Are you okay?"

He suddenly straightened his back and cleared his throat. "I am a man and men don't get scared of confronting things like what we're about to see. The question I should be asking is whether you're okay?"

Kit sighed and shook her head as she kept walking. Hopefully Levi didn't see the hidden smile on her face. "You're so scared," she said.

"Am not and we are so not about to have a war about this, are we?" He caught up to her with his long strides.

"No, we're not about to have a war about this," she laughed and then all the laughter was gone as they reached the heart of the warehouse. There was a long ladder that stretched up to the top of the roof and opened with a metal hatch.

Levi gulped.

"Well," Kit started, "since you're the man and men aren't afraid of anything, I guess you should be the one to go first." She started laughing as he nodded his head with a frantic look in his eyes.

"Whatever you say, Stone."

The fact that he addressed her by her last name made her cheeks flame as she watched him take out a silver dagger and hold it between his teeth as he climbed up the long rusted ladder.

When he reached the top she started climbing up after him. As her hands clamp around the metal bars she thought to herself about how gross it felt. "Gross," she whispered under her breath before deciding that this was no time to be a girl about things so she kept climbing up the ladder. Kit raised her head to see that Levi had opened the hatch as was inspecting what else was out there.

He looked down at Kit a moment later, "you better not be looking at my ass." He whispered down to her.

"Levi," she hissed but felt like bursting out laughing, "this is no time to be talking about this!" She felt her cheeks flame once again.

A moment later he said, "Well, are you?"

"I think I should have gone first."

"Never mind," he laughed to himself as she hid a smile from showing. "I don't see anyone but it looks as though the guards are around the corner. I'll go up first and you can follow behind me."