Chapter Twenty-Seven

TWENTY-SEVEN

              Kit couldn't take her mind off the danger of Claudius and everyone who was harmed. Every second she kept finding herself glancing over at Levi's direction, just to make sure he was still there and not stuck as a captive of Claudius. "What are we going to do when this is all over?" she asked him, eyes wondering through the night like two torches of blue.

                   Levi turned his face away from the dark tunnel before them. Sally was behind, muttering to herself, wondering aimlessly wherever she deemed it necessary to go. He shrugged his shoulder, now hovering over her. His eyes, brighter than anyone else’s she had ever seen, looked at her with worry. "I'm just not really sure," was he could say in answer.

                   She nodded her head and gently leaned against his arm, loving the wrath that glided off of him and onto her. She could feel his delicate lips press against the top of her head, right where the darkest brown of her hair started. "You think we'll ever be normal again?"

                   He smiled at that like she was the cutest thing he'd ever seen. "Oh Kit, we were never normal to begin with."

                   She actually laughed at this. "Right, should have been pretty easy to understand that." She hid her face in the shadow and closed her eyes. It was so strange to have Levi standing next to her, brilliant face smiling gladly. How he could look so delighted amidst such horrific times was completely beyond her. "How are you so happy? After everything I did?"

                   He leaned in, closed his eyes and pressed his forehead against hers once again. "I don't care about that. It was your choice to make, not mine, whatever you go with I'm happy. Besides, I was already willing to offer my life for y-"

                 She cut him off and pulled away. No one should need to risk their life for me... "Levi, never ever do that again. You don't need to risk your life for me; I'm quite capable of doing that on my own. I can save myself, defend myself and make sure no one else does," she knew she was probably ranting on so she stopped and stared up at him. They both sighed.

                  "Unfortunately, I couldn't help myself." He said, and then a moment later added, "I know you're capable of looking after yourself. I'm the one that needs you."

                Kit was about to open her mouth to reply when Sally's voice cut. "Hey guys!" Sally suddenly said, obviously oblivious to the strong conversation that was going on between Kit and Levi. Kit's eyes flickered towards her and a deep feeling of foreboding glided into her body. "We may have a problem," towards the end of Sally's sentence it drifted into a whisper, followed by a look that said shut-the-hell-up-if-you-know-what's-good-for-you; and so they did.

                    "What?" Levi asked frantically, jaw clenched and hand hovering over at his blood-stained sword. "If there's trouble I want you to behind me." He didn't bother to hide the annoyance in his voice and his face, so he drew the sword from its sheath and cast it into the darkness.

                      "Stop!" Sally suddenly interrupted and pushed his arm down to rest at his side. "I mean be quiet, follow me."

                     "Hey! I go in front, thank you very much," Levi said and crossed his arms over his chest. Kit pulled two blue daggers out from both sheaths at her ankles and stared between Sally and Levi, who both wore matching expressions.

                       "Let Sally go in front if she knows what she's doing," said Kit, who walked straight passed Levi and stood next to Sally whose fists were on both her hips. "You can either come or leave." Her voice went a little sharp than intended. It wasn't her fault though; she'd been kept and tortured by a murdering Hybrid whose goal in life was to build an army of monstrous werewolves with an immunity to fear and emotions. Sooner or later, insanity was bound to take over.