Chapter One

THE NIGHT WALKERS

CHAPTER ONE - PREFECT

         4 YEARS LATER

The haunting darkness tied around her once again. It had always been that way, her and the darkness seemed to play a battle of wits as to who would capture the others mind. Kit always loved to think that it would never get hold of her, but even the streets appeared to be getting longer and more twisted, exposing shadows that hid in the corners beneath foreboding sky that towered above her. 

She tucked the knife into her pocket and pulled her black hood over her head. If anyone ever saw her, they'd assume she was trouble. It didn't matter though, she was use to people walking the other direction as she approached them.

It was yet another downside to being a Night Walker, never understanding pure-humans. She kicked a rock that lay stray on the road and watched as it hit the front gates of The Luna Academy; the place she'd been kept since she first came four years ago. 

The huge gates loomed above her, haunting and dark, she could practically feel the black magic as it hovered around her. It may be invisible, but to her, she could feel it like her own heart, beating to the endless rhythm of the circling thunderous clouds in the sky.

Kit held her hand up, making sure to knock the way she had always been taught. Knock, pause, knock again, pause and knock once more. She could feel the door as it rattled slightly open and before she knew it, she could see two great big green cat-eyes as they looked her up and down. "What's the pass code?"

She sighed, it was always like this. So she took in one breath and recited the pass code she had remembered every day of her life since she was twelve.

"Night's a disguise to all the weak eyes,

Sunshine detects what the moon keeps hidden,

Hide me moon, don't detect me sun,

Keep me hidden till my night's work's done."

The moment she finished reciting the pass code, the man behind the gate opened it. Everyone called him The Gatekeeper because he made sure no one else but Night Walkers got through into the academy. He was basically the reason why no one was in danger. 

"Welcome back to The Luna Academy, hope you succeeded with your task," he said without much expression on his face. She nodded her head with a smile and walked past him. There was one long path that lead into the main doors of the academy and on either sides were tall green trees that acted as shadows.

The shadows were pretty much what everyone lived by, without the protection of darkness, the threat of detection would be underway. 

Kit's mission wasn't hard at all, it was a plain normal burglary job where she had to steal another necklace off one of the downtown gangs. She hadn't come back with too many bruises, but having to fight off a few guys in the process did slow her down and it would now nearly be morning. 

As she opened the great big doors that lead into the common rooms. Every time she walked into the academy, she was reminded of its beauty. She stood there frozen, watching the large elegant painting's that decorated the walls and the glorious chandeliers that hung on the high ceilings, complementing the elaborate stain glass paintings of angels and crafted pictures. 

The academy was massive and had so many rooms that it would nearly be bigger than two mansions put together. It was where, day after day, students did their fighting work and tried to become better and better.