Chapter 8

Zara's POV:

I avoided Omar for the better part of the trip and he made efforts for reconciliation. He would make the most delicious breakfast every morning and leave it on the kitchen counter with a happy face drawn on a chit.

I kinda find it romantic.

When I joined him at lunch, he'd attempt to strike rather uneasy conversations. He stopped going on the beach and volunteered to take me sightseeing but like I had made up my mind to ignore him. He had to realize the immensity of the mistake he had made. He had thought me of a tradable object. I had been traded to him in place of my family's honour and now he'd trade me to someone to relieve his guilty conscience.

A day before our departure, I decided to take a one last walk at the Marina. The place I found beautiful and relaxing. There were boats parked along the wharf. I was standing at the corner of the wharf where the boat was roped to its hooks. Sea was calm and the sun was setting down. The most beautiful scenery of nature I was witnessing. I feel a gentle tug at my elbow, when I turned to look around there was a cute little girl staring at me with her smiling face. She had a bunch of colorful balloons in her hand. I bent down on my knees to her level and caress her cheeks.

"Hello!" I smiled.

"This is for you." She handed me a long thread of balloons.

I was surprised by this. Why would she do that? I was a stranger to her.

"For me? Why?" I asked.

She looked behind her and I followed her gaze. There were few locals gathered at the distance, probably waiting for the boat ride. She pointed her finger towards the small crowd. I laughed at her innocence.

She ran away from there leaving me to solve the mystery behind these balloons. Deep down I knew who would have sent these. It was another way of getting back on good terms from Omar.

Okay! I appreciate his efforts but....

I took a deep breath, it was dark now, but the area was all lighten up with pole lights. It was the longest I stayed at the wharf so I decided to go back. I wanted to tie the balloons somewhere because obviously I can't take them back to the house. Omar had sent those balloons I knew it already and deep down all his gestures made me feel overwhelmed with unknown emotions.

As I came infront of a boat which was painted green and blue, prominent to other parked boats, I decided to tie up the balloons at its railing. But the only problem was that I couldn't cover the distance between me and boat from where I was standing. I had to walk back to the terminal in order to get on the boat. I immediately rejected the thought of going back because it was already late. So, what should I do with the balloons? 

Standing near the edge, I supported my left foot along the bundle of tied rope and tried to put right foot on the corner of the wooden step near the boat. But I was still unable to reach the boat. I heaved a frustrated sigh beacuse I didn't want those balloons go wasted and I was unable to cover the distance. That boat was the perfect place where I could leave those balloons, that's what I thought. In order to get my right foot on the wharf, my grip on the railing loosened and balloons went up in the air but this wasn't enough because my left foot was tangled in the rope giving me no space to stand firm. In the process, I loose my complete balance and fell into the water.

Help...

A panic rushed through my spine as I was sinking deeper because of the rope tangled on my ankle. I was unable to move my feet properly and swam upwards in order to get air for my lungs.

Fear, Panic and Helplessness was all I could feel at the moment. After two to three failed attempts of freeing my ankle from the rope I was started to feel short of breath. But I was still trying to get to the surface and failing at it.