Chapter Five

Everything is quiet when I open my eyes, and I can't help but wonder why our flat could ever be so quiet, even at night-time; isn't there usually the occasional snore coming from whichever room Luke's decided to crash in, or the odd giggle from Keveridge being utter idiots at 3am? I sit up, being careful not to wake Shane as he sleeps soundly and peacefully beneath me, and look around the room, not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Hm. 

Just as I move to stand up, I feel a pair of arms wind around my waist, and I look down to see Shane is awake, eyes glinting mischievously in the dark room. "You're awake." I say simply, being sure to whisper so as to not make too much noise. 

"Wow, I couldn't tell." He chuckles slightly. I smile, and then he sits up, his arms still around my waist as he does so. "Can't even begin to think why you would be awake at this time, though. You seemed exhausted. It's only 2am or something, I bet." 

"Well, I don't know why I woke up. But something woke me up, anyway." I shrug. "No big deal-" I'm cut off as Shane plants a small kiss on my nose, and I cock an eyebrow. "Shane, what are you doing?" 

"Kissing you." He plants another kiss on my lips, just a quick peck. For some weird reason, that part of me that freaked out about him kissing me before...it's remaining calm. Like this is something normal. 

"Shane, you promised you wouldn't. You know it's just complic-" His lip press against mine again, sealing my words in a sweet kiss that for some weird reason has me practically melting on the spot. What the fuck? Why am I not pulling away! Can't I just push him away, tell him to stop it? 

He pulls away after a while, a long enough while to leave me breathless. "Shane. Please. Just-" He tangles his right hand in my hair, tilting my head back to give him better access to my neck; then, after a short moment, his lips press against my neck, his teeth grazing the skin. "Shane, seriously..." I hold my breath, refusing to react to his advances. I don't feel anything for him, so...why am I feeling something now? Something in the pit of my stomach, like butterflies, but...not butterflies...if that makes sense...feelings I don't want. Because I don't want to feel anything like that for my best friend. He's like a brother to me, so why would I feel some sort of physical attraction towards him? That's just sick! 

"Drew." Shane mumbles against the skin at my neck, before meeting my lips with his own again. "I lied. I don't want to stay friends...I want to be more, is that too much to ask for?" 

"Yes..." I groan. "Yes, it is..." 

"But Drew," he sighs, "I love you."

* * *

Just like that, I jolt awake, my breathing erratic and my skin slicked with a thin film of sweat from head to toe. I sit up, pulling a hand through my hair and groaning wearily. What the hell kind of dream was that to have?! And about my best friend?! That's just sick! 

I push up off of the sofa, my hands shaking, and when I begin walking that's when I feel it. That dream was...well, a man's dream... 

"Shit..." I rush through to the bedroom, trying to make as little noise as possible as I grab clean pyjama bottoms and underwear. After going through to the bathroom and dealing with...my dilemma...I slink back through to the front room, feeling awfully unclean as I drop down onto the sofa. Great. Awkward dreams about my best friend. What's next, fantasies, too?! That really would be the end of the world for me! 

I sit on the sofa for a while longer, until it begins to get light outside; then, because I have nothing better to do, I decide to go through to the kitchen and make myself some tea. Quickly boiling the kettle and putting a teabag and some sugar into a mug, I decide to sit on the counter and watch everything happening out of the window; now would probably be a good time to think about stuff.