chapter eighteen

Elise's POV

When I walked in to the classroom, I could see his disappointment.

I could feel his disappointment  as he turned his head away from watching me walk to my seat to looking at his shoes, then to his computer.

I ask Douglas what we're doing and he tells me that we're just reading from our text book and doing a worksheet and then we can leave when we're done.

I pull out my textbook and realize that I have to get up and ask Luke for a worksheet.

I sigh and go up to him.

"Can I have a worksheet please?" I barely choke out.

He doesn't even look up at me. He just hands one over to me.

His hand grazes mine and I feel like I stop breathing for a second.

I can tell that he felt the same I did. He doesn't show it but I know him.

I sigh and go back to my seat.

I procrastinate.

I take out my phone and text and look at fashion blogs and play games.

I close my eyes for bit, not falling asleep but relaxing.

I focus on the feeling in the room. How everybody else is just acting like everything is okay. Because everything is okay to them. I'm shocked by the fact that there's this strong aura in the room that only Luke and I feel. I know that the tension is only between us but it's crazy how the others don't feel it.

I do everything I can so I'm the last person in this room. So I can talk to Luke.

Soon one person leaves, then another, and another.

Finally, it's just me and him.

And when he realizes it, he coughs and gets up to go to his office.

My voice stops him though.

"Luke."

"What?" He asks with his voice raised which startles me. He's never raised his voice with me before.
I'm taken back but soon I remember what I'm going to say and I start to walk towards him.

"Don't get any closer," he screams at me when I'm five feet away from him.

"Why are you screaming at me? What did I do?" I ask dumbfounded.

"You- you play me! All the time! I can't keep up with you anymore Elise! Last night was great. It was perfect. And this morning, when I woke up next to you and you were there, just there, it was perfect. It's like I wanted that forever. And I still do. But this can't work, you're right. I don't know if it ever will. You're too stubborn and I'm too much in a fantasy world to think that you'd ever choose me over your career. I get that now," he looks down to his feet, his voice going from screaming to breaking.

"Luke, I want you. I love you. But I can't decide between my career and you. How would you feel if I gave you that same ultimatum? What would you choose?"

He looks up and looks into my eyes. "I'd choose you."

I wasn't expecting that.

"Well then you quit. Find a job somewhere else. You found one after the left the high school. You'll find one after this. Please Luke, For us, please," I begged, grabbing his hands in mine.

"How can I do that though for someone who won't do it for me?"

That caught me off guard.

"Answer me. I love you so much Elise. So much. I'd do anything for you. Anything. But how do you think it feels loving someone who doesn't love you back the same."

"I do love you back the same Luke. I do. I promise you I do," I told him while tears started to fall.

"Then marry me."

Now that really caught me off guard.

My eyes bulged out of my head and I thought he was joking.

How did a conversation about quitting our jobs turn into marriage?

We're having problems right now about just being together and now he wants marriage?

He's on some kind of drugs or something.

"Luke," is all I can say.

"Elise," he smiles at me.

Just one look, stare into his eyes, and I know two things.

He is not high and he is completely serious.

What the fuck?

"You're serious," I state.

"I just love you so much. I'll ask if I can get another job here, okay? Let's just get married though."

"Luke, you just said that you don't think I love you as much as you love me. That you couldn't quit your job."

"It's okay. I'll find a new one. Still at this school. Or maybe in a couple of months we can move. we can start over somewhere. You can still have your career and I'll still have mine," he stated.

And I actually found myself thinking.

"I could have my cousin find me a new job. Everything will be fine."

Again, I found myself thinking about it.

"Look, my heads been spinning around for months now. But the only thing I've been sure of is my love for you. Elise, please marry me."

His sureness of his love for me.

I try to think back to when I truly, surly knew that Luke is the one.

And all I could think back to was this morning.

Wow, he's known for months and I've known for minutes, hours.

Some kind of a wife I'll be.

But I don't think the time of how long I've known that he's the one matters.

I think that knowing he's the one is the only thing that truly matters.

With his hands in mine, I look up to his eyes.

"Yes," I say, I smile.

"I'll marry you."

A/N:

Thank you all for one million on My Ex Is My Teacher!!!

Happy new year!!!

Question: Do you think that their marriage will go as planned? What do you think their families will say about it? Will they even know? Comments what you think :)