chapter twelve

=UNEDITED=

Elise's POV

When the doorbell rang at 9pm. on Christmas Eve, I was expecting Luke.

I know he freaked out on me before I left to go home for the break.

But that was sort of my plan. I wanted him to think that I was coming on to him. And I'm glad he did.

Douglas told me that when guys think they're right, but are told that they are wrong, they want to be proven right.

So my hope was for him to want to be proven right, and while trying to prove his case, he'd fall in love with me all over again.

I thought that he'd be trying to prove himself right by spending so much time with me and then he'd remember all of the fun that we would have and he'd slowly, but surely, fall in love with me.

That's what I thought.

I thought my life could be just one, happy ending, rom-com.

But Luke's face isn't the one I opened the door to.

It was the face I wanted to see the least.

He had some balls coming over here.

When I opened the door, my breath got caught in my throat, and it's been staying there since.

It's just silent, me staring into his eyes.

"Elise," he says like it hurts to say my name.

He says it like he's surprised to see me. Like he didn't know this was my house.

I step outside and close the door behind us.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you. I miss you," he says with sadness in his voice, his head looking down at his feet.

We're five feet apart on my front porch, my back towards the door.

It's snowing outside but the roof protects us from getting wet, but not from the freezing cold.

I shiver.

Not only because it's negative 5 degrees, but because he is right in front of me.

"Demetri, I-" I choke. I really have nothing to say to him.

Only mean things like he's crazy, because he is being crazy right now.

"Elise, I've done some thinking. I love you more than life. I love you more than anything in this whole entire world. Please, if you could just give me another chance," he stops, waiting for an answer.

"Demetri, when I said no to the proposal, you freaked out. Which is understandable. I didn't answer your calls in Europe, because I couldn't bare to hear your voice. Because it broke my heart. But, then you stopped," I sigh and take a deep breath, not looking up at him yet.

"You stopped trying. And once you did, I stopped caring. I stopped loving," I finally meet his eyes.

He inhales a breath and then leans forward with power.

I move away in time and now his back his facing the door and mine is facing the street.

"Stop. I'm not in love with you anymore. You have to let it go."

"But I can't. I can't stop thinking about you," he starts to get teary eyed.

"Demetri," I try and say with sincerity and put my hand on his cheek, bringing his face align with mine.

"We could've been married by now. If it weren't for Luke who had to ruin it."

The mention of Luke's name startled me.

And that's when reality came kicking back in and I took my hand away from his face and I straightened up my posture and I moved closer to the door, Demetri turning so that his back is towards the street again, and I stopped looking in his eyes.

If I looked in his eyes, I'd feel nostalgic. And I can't.

When I'm nostalgic, I bring up feelings from the past and I can't have that with Demetri.

I can't betray my feelings for Luke.

"Leave," I say and then open the door to my house, slamming it on Demetri's face.

I ran upstairs in my heels, probably sounding like an untamed animal.

I hurried to my room and slammed the door.

I cozier up in my bed with a blanket around me and started to cry.

I've never really had problems with anxiety but right now I feel like I had it.

I felt uncomfortable in my own skin, like I could rip off this costume, that really isn't a costume, that is just me.

I felt my lungs competing in a race and losing and being pressured to win and failing.

I was shaking.

All of these emotions, being spilled, poured out, all because I felt like I was betraying Luke.

All because for a second, I missed Demetri.

All because, I assume you call what I am right now, being whipped.

I'm wrapped around Luke Hemmings finger.

And he doesn't even realize it.

I must live in some alternate universe because I, Elise Davis, the fearless, confident, powerful specimen I am, is afraid of not being with the one I love.

A/n: you all wanted to see Demetri so here you's go!!

I hate to have to do this again but I'm setting update goals.

if I don't have at least 50 comments on this chapter, no update. and when I do get 50, I'll try my best to update as soon as I can. and it's summer vacation now and im a loser and have no plans really. so I'm free really whenever, so it's up to you guys.

goal: 50 comments