Chapter 1: New People

Both Jay and Erin wanted to be together, but they also knew that their relationship would only end in despair, that nothing good could come out of it.

"Erin, I'm sorry. Okay? But I feel like I'm just relapsing, that I'm right back where I started, like we've done this a thousand times. I can't do this anymore, I think we should stay together... for good... or we just need to find new people, other people..." Jay exclaimed.

"Exactly. We can't keep doing this. This is over..." Erin agreed.

"I'm glad we can both agree to end this... it makes things a whole lot easier." Jay said, walking out of Erin's apartment. He wasn't mad, hell, he wasn't even sad... he just wanted to stop hurting... to stop having his heart broken, or breaking someone, most likely Erin's, heart.

"Jay..." She chased him to ask him a question, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Jay asked, confused.

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to have dinner tonight? A friendly one..." She asked, unsure of herself, and the whole situation. She didn't want to get back with him, they just broke up, but she didn't want to lose him fully.

"Uh...I'm not sure that's a good---" Jay politely declined. Erin quickly interrupted, knowing exactly what it meant.

"It's okay... We just broke up, I get it... I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Oh, and Erin, I still love you, don't ever forget that." He said, turning around, heading towards his car. He disappeared into the darkness of the night. Erin then turned around too, and went back into her apartment building, going back up to her apartment.

She walked into her apartment and shut the door, quickly. Erin slid down the door and curled up into the fetal position. Tears slowly welled up in her eyes, then rolled down her cheeks. This can't be happening. It isn't fine. I love him. I need him. But it's okay. This is it. It's him and pain, or me and love. Sometimes Erin wanted the pain, because more pain meant more achievement in the end.

"Hey, do you mind meeting me at Molly's?" Jay asked, sadly. He had kind of just ordered his brother to meet him.

"Yeah, sure. I'm off today. I'll meet you there?" Will responded.

"Yeah. Thanks bro." Jay replied, pressing the red button that indicated ending the call. He turned off his phone and put it in his front right pocket.

Jay walked into Molly's, not ten minutes after calling his brother. Will had already been there, and waiting for 4 minutes. "Hey, Jay, what can I get you?" Gabriela Dawson asked.

"Beer." Jay stated, already reaching for the one Gabby was handing him.

"So, bro... What's up?" Will questioned.

"Erin and I, I think I just ruined everything. I think I just made her die inside. Because it sure as hell made me die inside... and it's my fault... I hate myself..." Jay informed Will, his eyes welling up.

"Jay. I'm going to take this beer, I think you should go home. I think you need to rest..." Will grabbed the curved edge of the bottle and tugged it out of his hand. "Go home."

"Will, I don't need a babysitter, and I sure don't need another mom. I'm fine on my own, I just needed someone to talk to." Jay shouted. Everybody turned their heads to the two brothers.

"Jay! Calm down. You causing a scene. Go home!" Will yelled back.

Jay clenched his fist. He, then, took his fist and pounded it into Will's face, knocking Will to the ground. Clearly, Will wasn't going to fight back, but he also couldn't just stand aside and let him hurt someone else.

Will stood up and kicked Jay to the ground. He pressed on one of Jay's pressure points and knocked him out. "Ruzek? Can you help me get him to the car?" Will asked, looking directly at Adam Ruzek, whom was wondering why he was called on.

"Yeah, I'll get his legs, you get his arms?"

"Yeah. One. Two. Three, lift!" They quickly shuffled their feet over to Will's car.

"Thanks, I really needed the help, Jay weighs like... like a thousand pounds." Will teased Jay, even though he was passed out.

"Yeah. Have a good night." Ruzek said, already walking back into Molly's, ready to finish his beer.

Will got into his car and turned the key in the ignition. The sound of the engine roared, he turned the wheel and pulled out onto the road.

His car rolled out onto the street, leading to J. Halstead's apartment. As soon as he hit the intersection, another vehicle collided into his.