Chapter 59: Race Ya

"They're dead. And it's all my fault. I'm sorry, Erin." Jay teared up and turned to hide his face.

"It's not just your fault, I'm sorry, too." Erin cried.

Jay motioned for a hug and Erin fell into his arms. "I don't want him to be dead." Erin mumbled.

"It's okay. We'll get through this." Jay sobbed.

"It'll never be okay. I know we'll get through it but it'll never be the same. Everything's changed." Erin wailed.

"I know," Jay agreed. "I know."

++++

9 hours earlier

"So, tonight, the kids will be staying at Will and Nat's, and we will be dining on the skydeck of the sears tower. Just you and I with the view of Chicago." Jay held Erin in his arms.

"You know I hate my birthday." Erin lied. 

"What!? That's a lie."

"Fine. It is, but I don't want you to do anything," Erin plead.

"It's too late. It's already been reserved and I've already paid. You can't back out, I did this all for you. Please, come with me." Jay begged.

"Fine." Erin gave in. "Now I better get going, Shay still does have school today, and I'm gonna drop the twins off at daycare."

An hour and a half later - (7 hours, 30 minutes earlier)

"Sorry,  I took a detour to the mall. I wanted to just look around and I got caught up at the baby store. I couldn't help it, I just..." Erin smiled.

"I know. I was there the other day, when I was trying to find you a gift, I stopped there and I just was mesmerized. You're not the only one." Jay giggled.

"Anyways," Erin started, "We're alone..." She took his belt off.

"But there's so much to be done." Jay countered.

"You know you want to," she kissed his neck. She started to take his shirt off when someone knocked at the door.

Jay pulled away, "I should get that." Jay walked to the door, it was Voight.

"You haven't been to work in three days. Both of you!" He shouted.

"Did we forget to tell you?" Erin asked.

"Tell me what?" Voight questioned.

"We quit." Jay whispered.

"You what?"

"We quit." Erin said firmly.

"Okay. Well, you both have a month to decide if you wanna come back. One month. After that, there's nothing for you there." With that said, Voight left.

"So, what did we have planned for money?" Erin quizzed.

"I'll save that... for tonight." Jay teased and shut the door. He took his shirt off and pushed her up against the wall.

"Tonight... will be great... if it ends... with us... like... this..." Erin breathed out in between kisses.

"I agree," Jay stated, kissing her neck.

2 hours later - (5 hours, 30 minutes earlier)

"We've gotta pick the kids up in an hour and a half." Erin groaned.

"Well, that means that we have an hour more..." Jay said. "I'm gonna go cook us up something, I haven't eaten since this morning."

"You haven't? Me neither," Erin winked. "Race you to the kitchen!"

"Wait, Erin! What does the winner get?" Jay asked.

"Whatever they want. And the loser?" Erin asked.

"Whatever they want." Jay laughed and started running. 

He ran into the kitchen and yelled, "Ha, I beat you."

"Not fair," Erin said. "Now make me something good, like a..., a...," Erin started.

"How about we go grab a dozen donuts?" Jay suggested.

"Great idea. You go, I'll stay here and clean things up." 

"Okay..., that sounds good." Jay said, smiled, and left.