Chapter 5

After around 15 minutes of hobbling home, I get there. I throw the stick into a near bush and open the door. I see my family and Peeta sat around the table. As soon as they see me they run to my side. I put all my weight on Peeta.
"What happened?" He says. I've never heard as much stress and worry in his voice as I have now. "I - " and then I blackout.

The first thing I feel is a warm hand clutching mine.
"Peeta..." As I open my eyes. His head shoots up and he has tears in his eyes. I try to lean up to comfort him but draw a quick breath in, as the pain in my tailbone is unbearable.
"No Katniss. Stay right where you are. Don't move." He orders me, concern in his eyes.
"What happened?" He asks.
"As soon as Snow announced the Quarter Quell, I got up and left. I took off into the woods. When I headed back to the fence I heard it alive with electricity. I climbed a tree and jumped over the fence. The pain was unbearable."
"It's ok, Katniss. Are you in pain?" He asks as he strokes my arm.
"A bit... Can I have more painkillers?"
"I'll get your mum, I'll be back in a second."
As I stare up at the ceiling, I hear murmurs outside my door.
"Do you mind if I go in alone, Peeta? I've just got to ask something," I make out Mum say to Peeta. I see Mum walk in my room, her eyes showing sympathy and concern.
"More painkillers dear?" I nod. "Before I give you these, I need to ask you a serious question," Mum asks while my fingers tremble under the duvet.
"How far along are you?" I hear Mum question. What? Like pregnancy? I'm not pregnant!
"What?" I repeat, this time aloud.
"You're pregnant, dear," Mum answers, the corners of her lips turning up.
"Have you been showing any symptoms lately?" Mum asks. Then it clicks in my head. 99% I'm probably pregnant. I've been throwing up all week and my period is late.
"Yes, throwing up all week as well as my period being late," I start to cry.
"Shh, shh," I hear mum sooth. "We'll sort this out with Peeta. Wait is it Peeta's?" Mum stupidly questions.
"Of course it's his!" I almost shout.
"Well, I'll go get him then," Mum gets up and leaves.