Chapter 3

"Come in" I call. Peeta walks in hesitantly, not wanting to intrude. "Uh, hey." This is the first time I've talked to him in several weeks. "Hi... I was just seeing if you're alright. Your mum said you were throwing up." Well this is awkward. I will have to speak to mum about what she can say to Peeta. Suddenly he blurts out what's on his mind. "Look, Katniss. I don't think avoiding each other is going to help the kids we're going to mentor in the arena."  "I didn't think you'd want to see me. I thought you hated me." My voice shakes at the end and a single tear slides down my cheek.
"Katniss, I don't think I'll ever hate you. I might get frustrated or upset sometimes, but I'll never hate you." He pauses.
"How about, if you stop treating me like I'm wounded, then I can stop acting like it. And then maybe, we'll have a shot at being friends." He wipes away the tear from my cheek with his thumb.

"Katniss, Peeta, Snow's on telly." Mum calls from downstairs. "Come on, let's go." And with that, I walk downstairs.

***

Until the important information about the 75th Quarter Quell, I tune out everything, including the past 25th and 50th Quells. I'm thinking about if Prim and Peeta will be okay, when my ears suddenly tune in when Snow talks about this year's Quell.
"On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels, that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes, shall be reaped from their existing pool of victors."