Chapter 8

They start pulling us away but I shout out "You've got to let us see our families one last time. Please!" There are fresh tears streaming down my face now.
"New plans. Straight to the train." The head peacekeeper orders. I start to kick and thrash but then another peacekeeper comes and assists him. Just before I turn around a corner I shout "Goodbye!"
That will be the last time I speak to my family again.

***

We're on exactly the same train they used for the 74th hunger games so at least I know where my room is. I just want to be left alone. As soon as I reach my room, I rip off my jumpsuit and throw it on the floor. I get into bed but then remember my Mockingjay pin on it. I get up, un-pin it and put it safely on my dressing table.

Minutes later, I hear a knock on the door.
"Wait a sec," I call out, getting time to get a dressing gown. I open the door and see Peeta standing there. He sees tear marks down my face and opens his arms for a hug. I quickly embrace it.
"You don't have to hold it in. You can let it out on me." I then burst into tears. After a few minutes of sobbing, I calm down.
"Look, get yourself cleaned up; dinner will be ready soon. Then all of us can talk about what to expect and tactics." Peeta says.
"Okay?" He asks.
I nod.

After my embrace with Peeta, I undress and get in the shower. Unlike other times, I press the buttons on the wall more carefully, choosing which scent I would like. After spending fifteen minutes in the shower, I get out and press a button to to comb and dry my hair. After a few seconds of a tingling sensation down my back, my hair is silky dry. I choose something appropriate; jeans and a blouse, and head to dinner.