Chapter 6

"Do you want to tell him?" Mum hints. I just lie on the bed, planning what I'm going to say.
"Well, uh. I'm ... I'm p-pregnant." I lie there waiting for his reaction. Surely he wouldn't yell at me while Mum was standing across the room?
"Well, I'll leave you to it." Mum breaks the awkward silence and walks out closing the door behind her.
"Peeta, well say something!" I burst out getting nervous.
"I can't believe it." Peeta says, a grin appearing on his face. A single tear slides down his cheek.
"You're not mad at me, Peeta? I'm so sorry!" I say, my voice shaking slightly.
"Mad at you? No Katniss, I'm ecstatic! If anything, I'm sorry. It's not fair of me to put you through this."
"But what about the Quarter Quell? How will our baby survive? Should we mention this to anyone? I - " My sentence is suddenly cut short from a kick coming from my stomach.
"Katniss!" Peeta rushes to my side while I breathe in and out of my mouth.
"It's just the baby saying hello," I say, putting his worry at ease. He puts his hand on my stomach feeling the kick. As soon as he feels it, he has the biggest grin possible.

"Can we keep it a secret, until we decide. I think we should tell Haymitch and Effie first, though." I ask Peeta. "Whatever you want," he answers back. "How far along are you anyway? The bump's quite big,"
"Mum's estimated I'm around 5 months, but I only found out this morning." I say. I didn't realise I was crying until he wipes away tears from eyes with the tip of his thumb.

***

Peeta and I our at Haymitches house now, talking about the Quarter Quell.
"I want us to train like the Careers. We've got to be as fit as possible. No more District 12 being the laughing stock. How about we get started this afternoon." Haymitch offers. I glance at Peeta. He gives a tiny reassuring nod.

***
Haymitch, Peeta and I are outside running up and down, dodging things and ducking. Every so often Peeta gives me glances to check that I'm okay while getting slightly concerned. It's obvious that I'm falling behind and even Haymitch picks up on it.
"Feeling lazy today, sweetheart?"
Or
"Pick it up sweetheart, you're not giving to burn down that fat by walking!"
I can just imagine Peeta biting his tongue to prevent saying anything.