4 - Cherry Pie

Chapter Four - Cherry Pie

I turned my head to the side, the bright red numbers glaring in my eyes.

2:04 in the morning.

I sat up in my bed, wiping the beads of sweat from my forehead. I placed my hand over my chest and felt my hammering heart.

Slowly, I scooted to the edge and let my feet drop to the floor, finding their way into my shark slippers. Levi had gotten me these as a welcome home present.

While crossing the room to my dresser, I looked around in the darkness. The deep walls made this room look much darker at night and I enjoyed the calm essence of it.

I opened the top drawer and dug around beneath my socks. My fingers found the hard lump in the far back.

I unfolded the balled up sock and pulled the bottle of klonopin out. I unscrewed the cap and tapped two pills into the palm of my hand.

My doctor switched me over to this from xanax because I needed something more powerful for sleep.

So far this seems to drown out the nightmares.

My hands trailed down the wall as I made my way to the end of the shadowed hall. I gripped the railing of the stairs and descended down them, almost tripping a few times.

I found a glass on the kitchen counter and walked to the sink, filling it up with water, and tossing the pills in my mouth to drink them down.

As I walked back to my room, light at the bottom of Brett's bedroom door caught my eye.

What was he doing up?

I tip toed to his door and carefully leaned up against it.

"Why do you have to make things so complicated?" He sounded frustrated with whoever he was talking to.

"Melony, get over it."

I couldn't stop my mind from wondering if this Melony was his girlfriend.

"I can't believe you right now."

Everything suddenly fell silent.

While walking away I was interrupted by a loud bang. I whipped my head around to his door, but decided to not be nosy and walked into my room. My pills were kicking in anyways.

I was sitting on the couch, wearing my led zeppelin pajama pants and one of Levi's shirts.

Brett came down the stairs looking tired.

"There's coffee in the kitchen." I faintly spoke.

"Thanks." Was all he said as he walked past me.

Seconds later he walked back in the room and took a seat on the recliner. "Could you get the mail?" He spoke through a toast filled mouth.

I felt my insides freeze up for a second but I pushed myself off the couch anyways.

I reached out to the door knob, my hand getting clammy.

I twisted it and pulled it open slightly. There was a sidewalk leading out to the road, and thumping in my ears.