9 - Believe Me

Chapter Nine - Believe Me

I moaned and pushed my face into something soft.

My eyes shot open and I opened my mouth, spitting out Clover's hair.

My body ached as I forced myself to sit up. I soon realized I was in my room.

I scanned the room but no one was around. It was dark outside so it must still be the middle of the night.

The last thing I remember was taking my pills and then feeling sick. I knew I shouldn't have taken it on an empty stomach but I honestly thought I'd be okay.

The door was cracked open so I peeked out into the hallway.

The hall light was on and there was light shining from downstairs as well.

I turned my head back to my room and looked at the alarm clock. It was past two so why are all the lights on?

Levi would be throwing a fit about the electric bill right now.

I tip toed down the stairs and peeked over the railing.

Brett was spread out across the couch. One hand was under his head and the other was tucked into the front pocket of his jeans.

I studied the arm that was next to his head. My eyes trained on the way his muscles flexed throughout his bicep and forearm when he readjusted himself.

I walked down the last few stairs and let my feet take me to the edge of the couch where I knelt down next to it and gazed at the sleeping boy in front of me.

My hand had a mind of it's own as it found it's way to his face, stroking the messy brown hair off of his forehead.

His face twitched a little and a short breath escaped my lips. It's not like I can deny that he's good looking.

Any girl who tries to could be considered a fool.

Slouching over, I planted a soft kiss on Brett's forehead. He just looked like he could use it.

"You owe him some thanks."

I raised my hand to my chest and jolted up, startled by Levi standing in the kitchen archway.

"You scared me. I thought you were at work." I panicked, hoping he didn't see what I did. That could get weird if he told Brett.

"You scared him." Levi's voice was so fatherly and wise right then.

"How?" My eyebrows knitted together and I lowered my eyes to Brett.

"He found you passed out cold on the road."

Suddenly everything came back to me.

Brett pulling up, shouting my name, and putting me into his truck.

I remembered him bringing me home, laying me in my bed, and saying he'd call Levi.

That was when I looked down and realized I was still in my outfit from earlier in the night.

"I only took one pill, I just hadn't eaten." I looked at Levi with a straight face.

"Whit...." He shook his head slowly, his eyes burning into me.

"You don't believe me." I didn't need to question his uncertainty. I knew all too well what he thought was going on.

"That's not it." His face looked irritated which pissed me off even more. I'm the one with the right to be annoyed.