40 - Grandma Edith

Chapter 40 - Grandma Edith

I opened my eyes to a tap on the window. As a face I was glad to see, came into focus, I quickly pushed away from Brett and sat up.

I shoved open the door and wrapped my arms around Levi. "How did you know where we were?!" I questioned and continued to hug him.

"You're the only car on the highway... and you're still half in the road." I looked around and he was right. Brett and I hadn't gotten out of the car because we wanted to keep the heat in, but sure enough, our back end was still on the black top.

"What time is it?" It was still pitch black so it must not have been long.

"About 12. We got home and Melissa told us you guys came looking for us. We were fine by the way, just kept stopping to help pull people out of ditches on the way home."

Brett sat up behind me and looked at Levi. "Hey man, good to see you." Brett climbed out his side of car and walked around by Levi.

"Where's Carson?" I asked.

"With Melissa. She refused to be left alone again. I think you traumatized her." He let out a different kind of laugh. It seemed as though he was so in awe of her, even if it was for something so simple. "Anyway, the wind has let up a little so let's get going. We'll have this towed in the morning." Levi offered me a hand and I climbed out of the car.

Seeing the front end as a whole, was a shock. It was all smashed in and the tire was bent out of shape. "You guys really did a number here." Levi shook his head as we all piled into the truck.

"Yeah, because we thought we were saving your sorry ass." Brett commented and Levi rolled his eyes.

"Can we just get home? I'm starving." I interrupted, my stomach roaring to life.

"Yeah, yeah."

Levi stepped on the gas and we disappeared onto the highway, leaving a banged up hunk of metal behind.

I watched the snowy fields go by as I sat mushed up against the door. Levi and Brett were in their own conversation, I was in my own little world.

I was still coping with this fresh information, and my head was running circles trying to figure out how everyone had been so oblivious of his hurting, including myself.

Glancing towards Brett, my eyes widened as I caught him taking a glance at me. He showed a compassionate smile and rested his hand against my outer thigh, slowly stroking over my pants. It wasn't meant in any sexual way, just simply an act of reassurance.

We lounged in the living room, everyone regrouping their thoughts after this stressful night.

Subdued in my damaged emotions, I attempted to mend whatever was left of my inner being. I was torn between two wonderful people, and in the end this would never be an easy decision.

"I'm glad you're okay." Carson snuggled me closer to him, kissing the side of my head. "How are you doing man?"

He was talking to Brett who had pretty badly messed up his back. "Give it a few days and ask me again." He groaned and re-positioned himself on the ice pack.

"I'm just happy my man is safe." Melissa gave Levi a sloppy kiss and we all looked away.

"Gee, thanks." Brett mumbled.

I kept my chuckle in my head and took in my surroundings.

Melissa was all wrapped around Levi, holding him close. Carson was all wrapped around me, and Brett? Well a blanket was all wrapped around him, and I partially wished that blanket was me.