8 - Abandoned

Chapter Eight - Abandoned

I laid curled up in a ball on my bed. Clover had herself tucked into the crook of my neck and I could feel her back steadily rising as she slumbered.

I spent my night puffy eyed and in a daze because my pills just weren't doing the trick. Brett would occasionally knock on my door as he passed through the hall, but I kept silent. I'd only sneak downstairs to let Clover out or to go across the hall to the bathroom.

He almost caught me once but I had slipped into my room, quickly locking the door behind me.

He must not have gone to sleep either though because his knocks were frequent through all hours.

I drifted off and woke back up to more knocking on my door.

I let my head drop back to the pillow and the knocking turned into pounding.

"So help me God Whitney!" I heard a girl yell and I forced myself out of bed.

I walked to the door, dragging my feet along the floor, my sweat pants rolling under my toes.

Clover was trying to bite at my pants as I opened the door. "Hey." I muttered and retreated back into my room, tightly wrapping my comforter around my body.

"I don't think so." Melissa sang as she tugged on my blanket. She had no luck when I threw my body onto the bed and anchored myself in the blanket.

"Go away." I groaned, shoving my face into a pillow.

"Nope, we're going out tonight." My breathing hitched and I peeked out from my blanket.

"What?"

"We're getting dolled up and going out." Her shoulders raised and she grinned excitedly, scrunching her face a little.

"Out where?" I laughed a little inside, thinking of how I perfectly mocked Brett's words.

"Bowling," She smiled. "I'm meeting a few friends there."

"Then you can go without me." I countered, feeling uneasy of going somewhere with a girl that I don't know that well.

"Oh don't be a dud, you'll go and we'll have fun." She hopped onto my bed and looked down at me with a genuine smile.

"I've never been bowling." I tried to reason with her and I wasn't lying. I've never been bowling. I'm sure it's not too difficult but I could still use the excuse.

"We'll get a lane with bumpers." She shrugged and I had no idea what she was referring to but I figured the fight was over, and I wasn't getting my way with this.

"Okay." I caved.

"Great! I'll meet you there at eight!" She chirped and strutted towards the door.

"Meet me there?" I asked skeptically.

"Yeah, I need to shower first and take care of a few things, so we'll just meet up there."

"I can't drive."

"Make Levi bring you, or Brett." She winked and walked out.

Sitting in the truck with Brett was an awkward little thing. Levi bailed and asked Brett to give me a ride. Of course he did this without telling me, it seems to be a habit of his.

I sat there uncomfortably dressed a bit more provocatively than I should be around Brett, but I figured Melissa would be dressed the same as she usually is and I wanted to fit in with her friends.

So here I sit in a rather short and tight dark wash denim skirt, paired with a snug lace tank top. The sides of it had some cut outs and the front dipped low. I failed with the shoes though, settling on some worn out grey converse but in my defense, we'll be changing into similar shoes anyways, right? I guess maybe the push up bra is what threw this outfit over the edge of appropriate, or maybe it's the extra make up that gave me an edgy, sexy look.