28 - There's Hope

Chapter 28 - There's Hope

"Are you sure about this?" Melissa gave me a skeptical look.

"Yup." I continued to flip through the book of hairstyles while the woman by the chair waited patiently. "What about this one?"

"No, no no no." Melissa slammed the book shut but I kept my thumb in place, saving the page. "You're not chopping off your long hair!"

"Melissa, it's just a long straggly mess." I walked over to the lady and pointed to the style I found. "I'm ready, I want this one."

"Have you decided on a color?"

"What?! No! You did not tell me you're dying it too! Do you know how hard it is to go back blonde?!" Melissa shrieked, acting as if it was the end of the world.

"Relax, I'm actually going lighter blonde. I'm sick of this bland color."

"I don't know who you are anymore." She shook her head rapidly and pursed her lips.

"Shhh, it's okay."

After my nose being burned with the smell of dye, and watching my hair fall down the apron in front of me, it was finally time for the unveiling.

The lady spun me around to face the mirror I immediately smiled. "What do you think Melissa?" I ran my fingers through the short strands, feeling refreshed.

She folded her arms and stared at me before breaking into a small grin. "I hate to say it, but it looks really good on you. Very.. edgy and sexy."

The style I had opted for was a choppy a-line bob. The longer side pieces hovered just over my shoulders, while my side bangs were a tad shorter than the rest. I loved the layers that gave it a very textured look.

My darker ash blonde hair was now a light ash blonde with some white looking highlights, giving my hair more of a shine.

All together it made me feel spunky and spontaneous. My hair had a more wavy and bouncy look, and I felt more confident than I've been in a while.

"I absolutely love it." I couldn't hide my huge smile as we walked through the city. The breeze on the back of my neck was so freeing in some weird way.

I feel like whole new person.

"Maybe I should get a job." I commented as we passed a window with a help wanted sign.

"Yeah right." Melissa didn't bother to hide her doubt in me and I didn't blame her.

I've come far, but I haven't come that far.

"Get off your new hair high horse." She laughed.

"I wonder if Carson will like it."

"I'm sure he will." She reassured me.

I couldn't imagine Carson having anything bad to say. He always fully supports my decisions. Even if he didn't like it, he'd lie and say he does. I have no doubt about that.

I'm excited to see the look on his face. I feel sexy and fresh faced, just overall amazing. It's crazy how something as simple as new hair can brighten up your outlook on life.

"I really liked your long hair."

I couldn't stop blinking.

"I'm not saying it looks bad, I'm just used to your long hair."

Words, words. I need words.

"Whit, talk?"