Happily Ever After #1 - Sasuke

"Ah, hello. Is Sasuke here?"

It's been a week since the incident with the Sound Four and Akatsuki, and not once had I even bothered going to visit said Uchiha in the hospital, even though I promised myself I would. Actually, I just left the hospital now, because they said he'd been discharged days ago. I guess I ought to pay more attention next time, right?

As of now, I'm standing on the threshold of the Uchiha family home, a place I thought that I would never see again, talking to Mikoto, a woman I thought I'd never interact with again. She's wearing a long, white apron over a plain brown dress, her hair rippling elegantly down her back as she speaks to me. She looks totally surprised to see me, but trust me, the feeling's mutual. This is probably the first time I've ever seen Mikoto home from work. If anything, I was expecting Itachi to answer the door, which was why I had no qualms about turning up with a bunch of "get well soon" balloons, a big teddy bear, and a bunch of tomato onigiri.

"O-oh! [Name]-chan, what a pleasure to see you again!" she smiles awkwardly, looking as if she doesn't know what else to say. "Um, yes, come on in! He's just in his room, would you like to go up and see him?" I freeze with a foot just about to move forward, a bead of sweat formulating on my temple. Sasuke's room?

The memories begin flooding in, and I begin second guessing why I'd even bothered coming by. Why did I come here, when I knew that this was the exact same place where everything ended? Why did I come back here if I knew that this was the place...

"Oh, no, I'm fine," I smile weakly, feeling my face drain of blood as I weigh out the prospect of going to Sasuke's room. No. I hold out my gifts to Mikoto with a deep bow. "Could you please let him know that I stopped by?" Although with a grim smile, Mikoto's sad eyes show signs of understanding, and she tenderly takes my parcels from my already quivering hands.

"Of course, [Name]," she says softly, hoisting the large bear onto her hip. "Thank you for coming by." With an awkward nod, I duck my head and turn around, walking as fast as I could away from their home, hearing Mikoto shut the door behind me with a small click. Tears burn at my eyes as I relive every single moment of that day when everything changed, when I walked in to see my so called best friend with my boyfriend- Oh god, it's so horrible, why aren't I over this?!

"Stop it, [Name], it's been like a year, shut the fuck up you whiny little hoe," I snap at myself, pressing the palms of my hands into my eyes to stop the tears that I can feel beginning to well up. "Stop, stop, stop! You promised you'd visit him, and you did! Suck it up!"

As hard as I try to suck it up, I can't. My heart aches over and over again at the bitter memories of the past, and everything resurfaces. The betrayal, the heartbreak, the fury- everything that I've managed to contain for the last year is beginning to bubble back to the surface, and quite frankly, I'm not too happy with that.

"[Name]! [Name], wait! Please!" Just turning the corner out of the Uchiha property's front gate, I freeze as I hear an all too familiar voice yelling from behind me, footsteps becoming audible as the person gets closer and closer. I don't even have to turn around to know who the huffing and puffing belongs to.

"Why didn't you come up and see me?!" exclaims Sasuke, standing right behind me in his injured state. I continue to stare at the ground, the sound of his voice too much for me to bear right after I relived my darkest day. I open my mouth to say something, but the words fall from my mouth, and I'm left gawping at the ground like an idiot.

"[Name], please. Can you at least look at me?" he pleads, reaching out and gently taking me by the elbow. Slowly, I begin to turn around, looking with anxious eyes at the Uchiha. He sighs, and loosens his grip, before refocusing his eyes on my throat.