Chapter Twenty Four - The Sound Four

"Well, well. If it isn't the new recruit. Who's this, your boyfriend?" I'm greeted by a snakey-looking man with purple lining under his eyes, his skin a deathly shade of yuck. Behind him stand two guys and one lady, who all leer at Gaara and I as we walk towards them, arm in arm. 

I casually look around to see if any of the Akatsuki are around; nope. I can't see any of them, but there's no doubt in my mind that they're all watching from somewhere, though it doesn't help to ease my nausea. I clutch onto Gaara for support, gulping as I teeter precariously in my high wedge-heel shoes. He holds onto me with a safe and steady grip, and I find solace just by the fact that he's with me.

"Why would you care?" I shoot back, narrowing my eyes at the man. Beside him, the grey haired man with round spectacles makes to say something, but is cut off from the man at the front. He laughs lightly, almost feminine like, and I exchange a look with Gaara from the corners of our eyes.

"Oh, excuse me for jumping to conclusions. I am Orochimaru, this is Kabuto, and behind us are Tayuya, Sakon and Ukon," he says, pointing to each of the members behind him, starting with the woman. My brow furrows in confusion as I try to put together each figure with a name, but come up one short. Either one member hasn't showed up, or Orochimaru dude can't count. I can tell Gaara's confused as well, because I can see him visually trying to pair up the names with the members. Seeing this, Orochimaru smiles, and spreads his arms in a welcoming pose.

"Welcome to the Akatsuki," he grinned, making me feel uneasy. Gaara pulled me closer to him, and I stared at Orochimaru, hoping that that was all he had to do. "Now, [Name], if I do implore, there is a favour I need to ask of you."

"Haha, no." I turn around to see Hidan and Deidara striding towards us, both wielding guns and pointing them right at Orochimaru and his men. I squeal and shrink into Gaara's arm, who instantly glares at the oncoming blond and silver-haired men. Orochimaru merely smiles, and tilts his head as he greets them.

"Ah, long time no see, you two," he says in an oddly cheerful voice, beaming creepily at them. They scowl and come up to Gaara and I's sides, protectively stanced.

"You've met [Name] now, Orochimaru. You can all leave now," hisses Deidara, flashing his bright blue eyes at the snake man in warning. Orochimaru laughs, and begins looking around.

"Ah! If I'm not mistaken, there's supposed to be a ball of some sorts in there, right?" he says innocently, looking over his shoulder at his subordinates. "Isn't that just interesting?"

"If memory serves me correctly, Orochimaru-sama, Itachi's little brother should also be a part of it," informs the grey haired man beside him, perking his interest.

"Oh?"

"Sasuke didn't turn up tonight," spits Deidara, making me raise my eyebrow in suspicion.

"Bullshit!" I snap, glaring at him. "He turned up with some blonde bimbo as his date!" Hidan sniggers as a thundercloud looms over Deidara's head, his eye twitching as he looks set to kill someone.

"She fucking called you a blond bimbo," wheezes the Jashinist, throwing a pitying look in Deidara's way.

"I was that fucking blonde bimbo, you fucking stupid bitch," mutters Deidara, making me gape in surprise.

"Oh my g- what?!" Deidara faces me full on, glaring, and true enough, I can see traces of smudged mascara on his cheeks and around his eyes. I snort, and fight to hold back my giggles, nudging Gaara with my elbow.

"Oh my- Gaara, look- pfft!" Hidan and I begin to crack up laughing, leaving the blond in an annoyed state and Gaara facepalming at the stupidity of the situation.