Chapter Five - The Power of Friendship

"Hinataaaaaaaaa, are you doing anything now?" I ask as I meet up with her outside of her English class. Sai follows suit, and I grin widely. Perfect.

"N-No, why so, [Name]?" she asks curiously, twiddling with her fingers. I glance from her to Sai, and notice that he's staring down at her slight figure with a pale shade of pink dusting his porcelain cheeks. I internally scream with victory. Yup, victory has definitely been secured, you can be sure of that.

"Did you guys maybe want to, I don't know, go out somewhere to like, just hang out?" I coo, beginning to walk backwards as the pair follow me down the hallway. "Gaara's coming too! Speaking of that redheaded bastard, where is h-"

I squeal as I bump into something, and turn around to see none other than the redheaded bastard himself standing behind me, arms crossed.

"Talking about me?"

"Not at all!" I grin, turning my back on him. "So yeah, maybe we could just go to the mall and roam around or something?"

Sai regards me curiously.

"Why on Earth would you recommend this on a Thursday afternoon?" he quips. I laugh and wave him off with a "pfft!"

"Because, the power of friendship! Right, Gaara?" I reach behind me and pull the redhead to me with an arm around his waist, beaming brightly. He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah. Friendship."

We lure the pair all the way to the mall, and about half an hour into it I pull Gaara away and say, "Dude, this is our chance. Let's run away, and let them talk more." He groans and throws his head back, blowing his mop of auburn hair out of his face as he does so.

"You're so annoying, [Name]," he mutters, straightening up and scratching the back of his head. I grin at him.

"Okay, so we tell them we lost them, and couldn't be bothered looking for them, so we just left. Okay?"

"If they call?"

"Ignore and say our phones were on silent," I beam, grabbing his hands and beginning to jump up and down. "Aren't you excited, Gaara?! Doesn't it feel nice to be playing matchmaker?"

"We're just setting them up to talk more without us around. Not so much matchmaking as removing ourselves from the equation," he snorts, making me pout and hit him in the chest.

"Ouch! Hey!" he laughs, pulling me to him by the wrist. I fall onto his chest with a giggle, and he puts a hand behind my back to steady me. I snort, and look up at him with a mischievous glint in my eye.

"Let's go!" I exclaim, glancing over my shoulder at Sai and Hinata, who are standing a fair distance off and talking to each other, completely immersed in their conversation. Gaara nods, and gently slides his hand over mine as he turns and begins leading us away, a smirk on his lips. I laugh with triumph, and as I turn back to follow Gaara, I feel a piercing gaze in the side of my head. My gaze brushes over the crowd around us, and as I do, I catch sight of a familiar pair of melancholic, onyx eyes.

Sasuke, staring at Gaara and I as we run away from Hinata and Sai.

I wonder what he's thinking.