▪twenty▪

I switched on the night vision and grappled my way through the city, building to building. I truly believe I can do this. I perched myself up on the ledge of the building and looked around

"How's everything, B-Bird?" Dick asked me through the ear piece.

"Everything is fine right now, just looking around."

"Good luck man, I'll be here if you need anything." Dick said.

I looked around with the night vision then turned it off. I took off my hood and took a bite of the protein bar. I looked at the lights of the city then I heard a scream. It was close, probably only a few blocks away. I jumped up, threw down my protein bar then pulled over my hood and grappled my way to the scream.

I perched up on a street light and put on my night vision. I took off my hood then jumped down to the scene. There was one person, holding a small knife, cornering a girl in a dark alleyway. I walked up behind the guy and tapped on his shoulder,

"You need any help?" I asked, putting some sarcasm into my question.

I must have scared him because right when I tapped on his shoulder, he dropped the knife,

"W-who the hell are you?!" He asked. It wasn't hard to tell that he was a nervous wreck. Dark circles where under his eyes and his face was pale.

"I'm new around here, let me introduce myself," I grabbed the guy by the arm, broke his arm, then proceed to knock him out the way Dick taught me, "the name is BlackBird." I said to his unconscious body.

I walked over to the girl, who was still in the corner, I stopped in my tracks when I saw who it was.

It was Rain. It was dark, but I could tell it was her. She had her caramel hair pulled back into a pony tail and her eyes where full of fear. Why is she here, she said she wouldn't get back into Gotham by Monday. I put my hood up, hoping she wouldn't recognize me,

"Thank you." She said with a sigh.

"It's not a problem," I said trying to disguise my voice, "it was just the right thing to do."

"I would have probably been dead if you haven't showed up when you did, I just got back into Gotham and this is how I'm treated."

"Just got back in?" I asked using my shoulder to lean up against the wall.

Before she could answer, another guy came running out, this one with a gun. He looked at his buddy then back at us. I stood up straight and threw down a smoke bomb before he could take a shot.

"Hang on!" I yelled and grabbed Rain by the waist and grappled up onto a roof of a building.

She let out a string of swears, which I never heard her say before so it made me laugh a little. We landed safely on the top of a building for a beauty supply store. I let go of her waist but she kept clinging onto me.

I let out a small laugh, still trying to disguise my voice, "you know were safe now, right?" I asked and she let go.

"Yeah, just kinda in shock. That was really exhilarating. This is what you do all the time?" She asked looking up at me in awe.

"It's my first night, actually." I truthfully said and took off my hood.

"Who are you?" She asked, her golden eyes looking into my green ones.

"The name is BlackBird. I'm just your average teenager." I said and smirked.

"Not very average, if you ask me." She let out a small laugh and looked away from me.

"You got a house or something? I don't want to leave you out here."

"Oh so you're going to walk me home?" She asked, with a hint of sarcasm.

"Yeah, why not, perfect way to end this amazing 'date'." I said sarcastically.

She laughed and put her arms around me, "Take me home, 'hero'." She said and gave me her address.

I put my arm around her waist and grappled from building to building until I got to her house.

We got to her house and I walked up to the front porch with her,

"Thank you, I feel like I owe you something." She said and looked up at me.

"No, it's fine it's just something I do. It was nice meeting you, I hope i dont have to see you again." I flashed a small smile.

"I'll try my best to stay safe." She said and unlocked her door, "it was nice meeting you, BlackBird, I hope you stay safe too."

"I will, no need to worry about me."

She smiled and closed the door. I looked at the door, wishing I could tell her that it was me under this mask, but I knew I couldn't. I grabbed the grappling hook off of my utility belt and grappled away into the night.