1.9

It will always surprised her how years can go by, passing like birds flew in the sky and begone just because she looked away. She always thought she won't stay this long, but surprisingly enough, Fate can be kind onto Colton it seems. They worked out, they worked out eventually and it has been nearly 20 years they stuck together. It wasn't all that bad. Truth to be told though, she loved him as much he loved her, but maybe he loved her more than she could ever imagine. They got through some hurricanes and storms all through the years, there were bad times. Really bad times that she didn't want to sought it back again. 

Elis did realise that somethings didn't really fade and the best people have their own dark side. The moment she truly realised she really wanted to stay in love with Colton, wasn't the best moment ever but it was a moment that worth every effort she puts through to make it work between them. It was a real struggle, both of them were very conflicted about everything.

She knew, those days will eventually came again, she just didn't expect it would be so soon. Last time it was during spring last year that he fell again. A couple of times, Elis did had her own major break down, but she really had to wonder how Colton could have so many patience in him that he stayed even though hell broke loose and she nearly destroyed everything in her life. Almost every bit of them. Colton had been there, all the time. Elis couldn't figure out how he could help her get through that, helped her patch things back together. It wasn't perfect, but decent enough to move on. 

It was funny because all of it comes from their own mind, Colton knew too well. On the other side, Elis had to admit she couldn't understand when it was Colton who suffered through it, but one thing Elis knew far too well, was that it wasn't just what he has in his mind, playing with his heart. But he has this immense paranoia. She knew where that came from. And she swore on herself, she would do everything to make him feel fine again, even she couldn't do anything about that.

It already hurt knowing about something not truly yours, Elis aware of that. Even through the years they have been together, those times will come uninvited, at unexpected times. Either of them just had to be ready when one of them collapse. 

And those times it seems, came earlier for Colton and Elis couldn't help but thought it was some sign, trying to remind both of them about what truly meant and what was destined. Elis hated that. 

It has gone for almost a couple of month. Every night, the bed would be so cold and she can hear his sobs from where she laid. She would stare long enough on the ceiling, until he got back into the room and snuggled besides her. 

It happened again, that night. Only it took him awfully long to get back in bed that Elis eventually got up and quietly slipped out from their room. Colton curled up in a ball on the couch, sobbing quietly as he can. Elis stood a few feet from him, observing him a tad too long. Elis wasn't one to give up on him just like that because she cared too much to let him be for too long. She knew better when it wasn't his usual sadness washing over him like the waves usually did every day. Kissing the shore to soothe the unimaginable pain that was inevitable. Elis understood that kind of pain, she understood Colton not to dwell long, but that night, it was one of those nights. He was on edge. He would fall any moment and Elis won't tolerate that. Last time, it wasn't good. 

It was tremendously horrible and terrible.

"Hey," she called out softly, walking in a slow pace towards Colton.

"I'm fine, I'll get over this soon. It's fine."

Elis hummed to herself, getting on the couch. She kissed the back of his head and she puts her hand on his shoulder. "You are too upset to even get close to me." Elis whispered in his ear.