Eleven

Mya

Jay had a point, I'm pushing Raq away even if she isn't cheating.

Sometimes I wish Raq was more like Jelani. I mean Jay is so understanding, and loving. Seeing her and Cita together makes me want something like that. But sadly, I can't even get a proposal.

When Jay sat her daughter down I saw the wheps on her back and the purple-red hickies on her neck.

"Fun night huh?" I joked throwing an eyebrow at Jelani, indicating that I saw her passion marks.

Once she turned around her face became a deep red. "Yeah, I guess. But umm I've been wanting to ask your input on the wedding."

Marriage is now becoming a touchy thing for me, however I choked up my personal feelings and continued. "What about it?"

Jelani now sat down on the kitchen counter adjacent from me. She sighed before she spoke, "We just are trying to figure out where we want to have at. We've narrowed it down to here in Atlanta or back home in New York."

I placed the phone that war still in my hand before speaking.

"You know what is think would be romantic, if you had your wedding in Jamaica and that way you can see more of your family."

Suddenly, the look on her face changed. Face facing the ground she began to play with the edges of her manicured clear fingernails.

"Nah, that wouldn't be a good idea. I'm basically dead to my family. Not many Jamaicans are fond of homosexuality."

When she saw that I noticed her demeanor changed she sat up straight looking at me with a sad smirk.

"So they don't even talk to you?"
This was the first time I was really hearing about Jelani's family aside of her cousin who I see.

"Nope, many gay people in Jamaica live in gutters because they are brutalized, bullied and homeless. Nobody wants shit to do with them that's why I waited until I could support myself before I came out."

Interrupting our small moment Cita came downstairs.

"Hey, guys." Her voice was shot. She sounded like a hoarse whisper.

Understanding exactly what went down last night I laughed, causing Jelani and Cita's faces to redden.

" I see you hitting it right Jay." I said between laughs.

Quickly finding my composer "Do you guys want any food?"

Cita shook her head as she moved into the living room on the couch sitting Kayla between her legs.

"I won't be here today I have to meet with different wedding planners today and I thought I'd take Kayla to her Grandma's house while I was out."

She ran her hands through Kayla's hair before speaking again "Jay can you get the coconut oil, a hair-tie, comb and a brush from upstairs?"

Jelani left as I continued to cook. "How is your mom doing, by the way?"

I heard a string sigh before she responded "She's OK. She still doesn't want to meet Jelani though and its getting stressful because I want her to come to our wedding. But, she refuses."

Rumbling filled the stairway as Jay ran down the steps. "Thanks baby." Cita kissed Jelani.

"Do you think she would want to see Bell too?" To be honest Bell stays cooped up in the house with me all day. Sometimes we go out but not much she loves the house. She's a homebody.

"Yeah, I don't think she would have a problem with that. Are you coming too?"

Watching Cita brush through Kayla's hair I replied with a soft sigh. "Nahh, there's allot of work to do around the house thanks to Thing 1 and Thing 2."

Everyone chuckled softly.

______
20 minutes later.

"What attracted you to Cita when you first met her?" Jelani and I were stretched out on the couch still in our PJs.

"She had a chip on her shoulder and a little attitude problem. Every time I tried talking to her she'd acted like she wasn't feeling me."

I scrunched up my face "And that's cute?"

"I mean all the other girls I been with were so easy to get with and with Cita she made me work for her which I never had to do. Plus she was really pretty."Jelani cheesed a big ass smile and she hung her head down.

Which instantly made me wonder, " Sometimes, I be thinking if Raq smiles like that when she talks about me."

Jay's smile slowly faded. "To be honest she doesn't really speak of you allot so I wouldn't really know. I don't know why she doesn't, you're a really good woman especially compared to Joslyn."

A smirk found its way on my face. "Are you working with Raq for the rest of the week?"

"I should be. Why?"

Shrugging, I looked away "Just asking, I'm usually up early in the morning cause Raq wakes me up. I can iron your suit since I'll be ironing hers anyway."

Jelani, looked as if she was thinking for a short moment. "Yeah, I could use the extra time in the morning, why not."

____

12:27 am

Everyone else was sleep in the house, Cita said she found a really good wedding planner and the girls had a good time out of the house. The only person who wasn't home was Raquel. However tonight I decided to take Jelani's advice.

The girls left downstairs a mess so I started to pick toys out of the play pin area when she came home.

-Raq

I know I'm late as fuck again tonight. Honestly, I don't feel like hearing Mya yell at me for it. But, I know that's what's coming once I open this door.

But I brought this on myself so I sucked it up and opened the door. Mya was bent over picking things up out the play pen. We made the downstairs office into a play pen since Bell loves playing in the living room.

When the door closed behind me, she snapped up and turned around. "Hey baby." She approched me and kissed me softly on the lips. I didn't kiss her back because her polite attitude surprised me.

"How was work?" She asked me at this point it became evident that Mya had gone crazy.

"Uhmm, work was fine. What's wrong?" Clearly confused I undid my tie. Something was up and I wasn't sure what it was.

"Nothing. Just wondering." And with that she walked upstairs with the girls' toys obviously unbothered that I was late.

However I decided to live in this moment of being argument free. So I headed to bed happy and confused.