Chapter Eighteen.

Alright! So, I’m BACK!

Honestly, I stopped writing because the ceremony just didn’t ever sound right in my head or on paper. Then, when I got in of the mood to write, life got in the way. Anyway, the good news is that I’m going to finish this book! (:

Shout out to Gatorgirl17353; your comment is the whole reason I started writing again. Thank you for that! (:

**********

Chapter Eighteen.

Ocie’s POV

Ugh, today is the big day, the ceremony. I’ve dreaded this day since, well, since I found out my mate was an Alpha. That I am an Alpha, I guess. Raylan didn’t even sleep last night, I’m pretty sure. I felt him get up out of bed at least twelve times. I didn’t even ask him if he was alright. He just kept mumbling to himself about his speech over and over again. Not once did it change. That’s probably why I’m so tired. I listened in case I needed to help him. This past week, I’m saying I’ve gotten twenty hours of sleep. Even for wolves, that’s pushing it.

Once we even take on our alpha duties, we have to fly all over the country searching for Winter’s mate. If we don’t find him soon, she will die… I cannot and will not lose her even if she doesn’t want me around anymore. I understand her reaction. She doesn’t know of what all I’ve been doing to try and put her mind at ease. It hurt so much at first. Then, I took a step back and realized she’s just hurt.

I wish she was here… I need help dressing for this thing. She could always help me more than I could help myself. I had about fifteen dresses and paired shoes lying out on the bed. I had no idea what to wear.

“I would dress you in the orange one with the blue heels.” Winter spoke from behind me. I whipped around to see her standing awkwardly in the door way, making sure not to make eye contact with me. We stood like this for God knows how long. Jesus, she looked bad… The little color she did have, drained from her face, and her eyes seemed to be sunken in.

I walked over to her and stopped. I made sure she seen my hands coming up to her face, for fear that she would jump from my swift moments. An effect of her attack, but she didn’t. I touched her face and my heart broke. I could just feel her jawbones. We’ve got no idea just how long we had left. I would say it’s not long anymore.

I brought her head up to meet my gaze. “Don’t you dare ever look to the floor when you talk to me. You keep your head high and look me in the eye when you speak. That’s an order.” I gave a giggle to her and placed my forehead on hers. She had tears streaming down her thin cheeks. I whipped them away as I pulled away to look at my still beautiful best friend.

“And what you’re getting ready to say, I don’t want to hear it. Save it. I understand and that’s all we’re going to talk about it.” She gave me a half smile and threw herself on me. I gently touched her back and I could feel her spine. She’s gotten so skinny. This is seriously sickening. I pulled out of the hug before I ended up breaking down in tears.

I heard someone clear their throat down the hall from us. An armory of people stood and the end with Raylan. He looked like something awful. I hoped he would sleep once we found Winter’s mate, if we did.

“Honey, who are all of these people?” I asked leaving Winter in the doorway and hugging my mate.

“I asked them to come help you get ready. I figured you could use some pampering. Also, I knew you would need Winter today. So, I left early enough to bring her back here. I’m sorry that I have so much to do today. I need to get going and I can’t see you, if any today, until the ceremony. We’ll both be awfully busy.” He kissed my forehead and left without another word. He knew I would protest. Actually, with everything going on, I could use a spa day.