Chapter 9 -Shadow Fields

I trailed along behind him, stumbling on loose stones and tripping over weeds. It was rather hard to be graceful in such conditions, but Ryder seemed to float around as he walked, never stumbling nor slipping. He made the terrain look as if it were a plain with a tiled path- That seemed to crack when i get there- and he was levitating just above ground. Not close enough for passive observation. 

I used a free hand and gripped his shoulder, dropping one of the fruits and Jerking him slightly. His attention now fixed on me and his eyes dazzling with curiosity he parted his lips and asked, "Yes?"

His voice, like silk fingers, ran chills up and down my spine. " Do I have to go back for Elijha, I mean he and I are already in a fight." 

"I don't appreciate you fighting about me with him." His voice airy with concern. "It's futile really, because mortals are a lesser species." He muttered bitterly, then threw his attention back on the path and sauntered to the campsite.

A lesser species? I thought. I flashed back to the time when I had called him mortal instead of Elijha and held a noble air around him. What happened to that air? I shoved a palm towards the side as I slithered through a bush, that looked poisonous.  

 "i have the food." Ryder called as he set down his share of food, on a stump that was once the base of a mighty tree. I scanned the grounds for flying hair and Jeans, but saw nothing. Did he storm off after her? or had he heard what Ryder said. This would make him hate Ryder even more. I supposed that It was true what Ryder said about them being a lesser species. I found that out the hard way when I tried to tell Elijha what had really happened to his father. He swore at me, kicked me out and left me to cry on his porch. Humans can't handle the truth I suppose.

"What are you thinking about?" Ryder asked me while raking back his short hair with a smooth brush of his fingers. His mouth twisted into a smirk. Not the kind that made you uncomfortable, but one that suggested amusement- atleast thats what it seemed like to me. 

"Elijha.." I confessed while flashing back to reality. I hadn't realised I got so deep in thought. "I wonder where he is.."

"Probably went out looking for you." Bitterness edged itself in a not so bitter statement.

"I think I should go find him.." I suggested while slowly turning in the opposite direction.

"Thats not a good idea, he'll find you." He blankly stated as he took out a fruit and ate distractedly.

I said nothing in response and made my way to where I had slept last night then place my rare on the dirt. I looked up at Ryder, his silvery scar becoming more prominent as the sunlight filtered more through the canopy of trees above. The scar seemed as if it were in a pattern. A long line that branched off into other smaller ones. 3 spots were on the scar.  One above, one to the left and slightly below and one at the bottom. It was beautiful- If scars can be said to look beautiful. I felt my eyebrows lower.

" Ryder, how'd you get this poison scar." I asked in a dopey tone. He took a deep breath and refused to let it out. His body remained still, eyes focused in the distance. My hand slowly approached the scar and my fingers lightly brushed against it. I sucked in my breath as I saw a trailing light ahead of me and my eyes grew wider as the light shot itself at me.

 ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀  ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀  ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

I saw a room with a brown table and chair. A little boy, about the age of 10 was standing up beside a man in a brown cloak, tending to something on a stove. The image was presented in a sepia filter as if it were an old film. The boy tugged at the man's coat.