Chapter 12: Soul Taking

( Lydia's POV )

"You know.. Valentine's Day is coming up?" Ryan said with a hint of a smirk slowly creeping across his face.

I shuffled around in my seat as we were sitting in class about five minutes before it was suppose to start.

"Yes I know" I said with a smirk back.

"Have any plans?" Ryan asked as if we weren't a couple and he was just a friend or some person on the street.

"Well I'm not sure... My boyfriend hasn't exactly said anything about it yet. But I mean it's not for another what? Two weeks. I think me and my boyfriend will have plenty of time to figure something out before then." I said with a slight chuckle while biting my lip.

"He better come up with something. Or he'll be the worse boyfriend in the world." Ryan said shaking his head in disbelief at how shitty my boyfriend might be.

I laughed and punched Ryan's arm. "No my boyfriend is great."

Ryan leaned over and planted a soft gentle kiss on my cheek right as the professor entered the room signaling the start of class.

XXX

Class went by quicker than normal. Maybe it was the fact that the professor basically had us a watch film on the psychological effects that a human can go through while someone they love is dying.

Which isn't quite a coincidence that that was the video the professor decided to play as my boyfriend well fiancé and soon to be husband was sitting right next to me who was diagnosed  with cancer.

"You wanna grab something to eat? Or do you just wanna head back home?" Ryan asked grabbing ahold of my hand as we walked down the courtyard.

"Home?" I asked smirking a bit.

Ryan bit his lip and shook his head. "I mean your place... Or my place... Either one"

I could tell Ryan felt a bit awkward and nervous about his use of the word "home" when in fact we haven't really talked about moving in together or anything of that sorts.

"Let's go get something to eat. I'm a bit hungry after that two hour video the professor made us watch." I said grabbing ahold of Ryan's arm instead of just his hand. I leaned my head on his shoulder and let him lead the way to wherever he wanted to take me to eat.

"Excuse me." A voice said from behind me. I turned around and let go of Ryan's arm to answer whoever it was behind me.

"Yes?" I asked as I noticed a man who looked to be in his 30's.

"Are you Lydia Balke?" He asked with a low raspy voice.

I nodded my head unsure of how this person could know me when I've never seen him before.

"Lydia who are you talking to?" Ryan asked as he grabbed ahold of my hand.

Ryan can't see him. Which means he's a ghost. Great.

"I'm sorry how exactly do you know me? Who are you?" I asked nervously while biting my lip.

"None of that is important. What is important is my message to you from Damien. He wanted me to tell you that things are happening. And that you should keep an eye on your man right there." The man said in his low dark voice.

I gulped so loudly that even Ryan could hear it.

"Babe what's wrong?" He said worriedly caressing my hand softly in his.

"Come on let's get out of here." I said quickly starting to walk away.

I turned around to see if the man was still there but he wasn't. "Lydia are you sure you're okay? What happened?" Ryan asked wrapping his arm around me.

"Nothing... I'll tell you later... Let's not have this ruin our day." I said turning back forward to see the street that was ahead of us.

The man stood there with a smile plastered across his face. He waved his hand at me saying goodbye. A woman walked through him causing him to disappear. But as soon as he disappeared the woman was in the middle of the street and the next thing I knew. She was in the air and then on the ground.

"Oh my God!" Ryan said tucking my head into his chest so I couldn't see the girl laying on the ground.

I leaned my head up though because I did want to see. People rushed over by her and I did the same. I grabbed Ryan's arm and ran over to the girls body.

Another woman who apparently was a med student checked for her pulse.

"She's dead.." The med student said shaking her head.

The man from the car that hit her yelled and shook his head. "I didn't see her! I-I didn't see her! Dear God!"

I looked up to see the man again he was chuckling this time. He made this happen. How? I don't know but he did. The woman appeared next to him. He grabbed ahold of her hand and was going to take her with him.

"No let go of her!" I screamed running over to the other side of the street to get to them. He was going to take her soul. Where? Why!?

By the time I got over there they were gone. Ryan ran up to me and grabbed my arm. "Now do you wanna tell me what's going on?"

"Yeah... Nothing good..." I said hugging Ryan burrowing my head into his neck.

Authors Note ~ Shorter chapter like a lot shorter but the next chapter will be twice as long as this so however long this is times it by two and bam that's how long the next chapter will be! So basically this chapter is showing that Damien's building a ghost army for some reason and he wants Ryan's soul. Lydia will have to figure out what Damien is up to if she plans on stopping him. How will she stop him? Who knows. But Damien isn't the only person with ghosts on his side (; wink wink hint hint. Also there will be a Valentine's chapter cause Valentine's Day is coming up. Which is going to be an interesting chapter. I'm excited to write it (;