Attacked

Noel's POV

The marketplace is buzzing around me as I walk alongside Jule, half listening to her stories. She had insisted I go with her to find some new dresses, but I knew very well that she wanted to keep me busy. No doubt her husband, Jake, heard about Xavier yelling at Luke and I on the field, and told her. This was her attempt to keep my mind occupied and not think about how Xavier hated me.

However, I was happy for this little distraction. Luke and I were supposed to train today, but I learned that he had to go away for a meeting with Xavier and some of the other High Wolves. I was a bit disappointed at first, but then remembered Xavier banning me from training. I didn't care though, I was going to train whether he liked it or not. I'll do it in secret, if I have to. I knew Luke would be on my side, no matter what.

"Do you like this blue one? It will bring out your eyes!" Jule says as she holds up a long flowy dress.

My mind focuses back to the present time and I smile at the beautiful dress Jule is holding.

"It's gorgeous, but I have no need for a beautiful dress like this." I simply state as I run my fingers through the soft material.

"Nonsense! The Moonlit Festival is coming up, you'll need a dress."

I have no idea what she is talking about, but the thought of me wearing a beautiful dress like this one seemed ridiculous. I can't even remember the last time I dressed up for anything. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I went to a festival. My captors kept me locked up for years and thus, I missed out on a lot of things.

However, the thought of going to a festival and having fun for once, sounded appealing. I want a fresh start, I want to experience things I never did before, I want for one night not to have any worries or demons haunt my mind. The thought of all of that put a shy smile on my face and I felt a bit of hope seep in.

"You'll love the Moonlit Festival! I bet even Xavier will have a hard time keeping his eyes off of you when he sees you in a beautiful dress." She says with a smirk.

I snort at the idea. "Xavier has no interest in me and everyone knows it."

Jule's smile falls and she rubs my arm in comfort.

"Alpha can be a bit closed off, but I know with time he'll come around and accept you as his mate like everyone else has accepted you as their Luna. Honestly, if he didn't want you why hasn't he rejected you yet?"

I wince at the word rejected. After so many years of being denied of a normal life, it hurt to know that my own mate would deny me too, even if this mate of mine wasn't my cup of tea either. Part of me wants to feel the love and care that everyone else got to experience, but I know that isn't my fate.

"I'm unfortunately the Luna, he wants me around to keep this pack strong, not because he has feelings for me." I state bluntly.

"Well, I don't believe that." Jule says as she continues to look through the dresses.

I ignore her statement and walk to the other side of the tent to look at the other pretty dresses. I have no interest in the dresses, but it keeps my mind occupied. The sun is high in the sky and I know that means that Luke will be back soon. Perhaps he'll want to train me this afternoon once he's back. The thought of training with Luke puts a smile on my face.

All of a sudden a wave of dark energy invades the air. It is so sudden and suffocating that I nearly lose my footing as I look around to see where it was coming from.

"Are you alright?" Jule asks as concern laced her words.

I turn to her and frown. How could she not feel this darkness? I look to the people in the marketplace and notice that they too aren't fazed by it.