Chapter 27

Eli's POV

I sat on the couch at my old apartment enjoying the feel of having my life back.  I finally got my first pay check after being the CEO again and was able to by the same apartment again.  I was in the middle of watching tv when I heard a loud knock at my door.  What the hell?

I stood up and walked to the door, opening it slowly.  In front of me stood two police officers.  "Are you Eli Rickson?"  The shorter one asked.  I nodded and looked at them a little confused.  "May we come in?  We have a few questions regarding the shootings at your fathers house."  I stepped aside to allow them access in.  They walked in slowly as they made their way towards the couch. 

"How may I help you gentlemen?"  I asked as I stood up since there was no other place to sit.

"Well we know that you were at the house and were wondering if you could tell us everything that you remember."  I nodded and shrugged my shoulders as I took a deep breath.

"I had been waiting for a call from Elisabeth all day to tell me how her parents funeral went and when my phone finally rang it was my father telling me that his friend had found Abby, Elisabeth's daughter, so I rushed over.  I had tried to call Elisabeth on the way but she wouldn't pick up.  When I got to my father's house I knocked on the door and after waiting a few minutes for the butler to come to the door I realized I was going to have to let myself in.  Well when I was finally inside the house I walked to the dining room because I had heard voices coming from that way."  I watched as the officers were writing vigourously down on their notepads as I tried to collect my thoughts and only focus on the important matters of that day.  "I walked into the dining room and saw Abby and Elisabeth duct taped to their chairs and my father had one of his men duct tape me to a chair.  My father said that Elisabeth was bad for business and since I had beat up his Vice President for talking poorly of Abby, we all had to go.  He had one of his men pull out a gun and aimed it at the back of Abby's head.  Right before he pulled the trigger Jacob walked in and had them set us free.  As we left I heard the gun shots and rushed Abby and Elisabeth out of the house.  Once we were driving away I had Elisabeth call the police." 

The men looked up at me after finishing off my statements and looked at one another before nodding.  "Okay son, you said Jacob walked in, now who was that?"  The taller of the two asked.

"Oh that was the butler, he said he was a homeland security agent who was under cover.  How is he?"  They both looked at me a little dumbfounded. 

"Sir, he died in the shooting."  I looked at them a little stunned.

"What so he killed all five of them and then died?"  I asked and they shook their heads looking a little confused.

"Eli there were only five bodies.  Your fathers, three other men from the gang, and then the agents."  They spoke concerned and I shook my head. 

"That's impossible, there were five people in the gang," I said harshly and the shook their heads. 

"We have your fathers body, a man named Felix, someone named Jones, and then a Hector."  I closed my eyes as I realized that Nathan had gotten away. 

"Okay I guess I must have been mistaken.  Was there anymore questions?"  They shook their heads once more and stood up.  They both shook my hands as they showed themselves out.  Once the door was shut behind them I grabbed my phone and called Elisabeth. 

"Hi Eli," her voice seemed a little strained as she answered the phone.

"Hey Elisabeth, um I was just wondering if the police have come by to talk to you?  They just left my house so I didn't know if you've heard from them at all."  I said as I sat down.  I heard her make a soft whimper and a muffled sound in the background.

"Um yeah they did.  Eli would you mind coming over?  I really need you here."  I smiled to myself as I realized I was getting closer into her good graces.

"Yeah I'll head right over.  Do you want me to pick anything up before I head that way?"  I asked, knowing she would probably want something for Abby to eat for lunch since she seemed so distraught. 

"NO!"  I pulled the phone away from my ear as I heard Abby scream in the background. 

"No, Eli.  I'm sorry Abby was just um watching tv.  Will you just get here as soon as you can.  Please hurry Eli."  She hung up the phone and I stared at my screen dumbfounded.  Something didn't seem right.  I grabbed my car keys and took off towards my car, beginning to panic.  I wonder if she knew that Nathan wasn't dead?  I guess I'd find out when I get there.