A Hard Day's Night

The phone rang, frightening me and I let out a squeal.

"Chill Hannah." Emerson laughed

I roll my eyes and pick up the phone.

"Hello?" My voice was quiet, yet hoarse.

"Hey Hannah doll! It's Erin!"

"Oh hi Erin!" I perk up  "It's Erin!" I whisper over to Emerson, pointing at the phone with a wild grin on my face.

Emerson giggled and shook her head.

"What's up?" I ask into the phone

"You work at Whiskey, don't you?"

"Indeed. I'll be there tonight with my mate Emerson." I say, twirling the phone cord around my finger

"Amazing. The band will be there tonight, just thought I'd give you a heads up. Of course I will be there too." Erin laughed

My heartbeat's pace quickens and I suddenly felt hot.

"The- They're going to be there, tonight?" I squeak

"Yes, silly." Erin laughs

"Oh, okay cool." I gulped 

"You all right?" Erin asked, sympathetically

"Yeah, yeah! I'm great why do you ask?" I said anxiously

"No reason. Well, see you tonight." 

The line went dead and I set the phone back down. Glancing over at Emerson, who was fumbling with the TV remote.

"Hey Em?" 

"Hmm." Emerson hummed

"They're going to be there tonight. At the Whiskey." 

Emerson dropped the remote on her lap and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Really?" She asked excitedly

"Mhm." I nod

"Cool." Emerson says casually

"Cool? Cool! I'm freaking out!" 

"Relax, just be you Han. I'm sure they'll like you either way, I mean, you're sweet, funny, very intelligent, and just adorable." 

A smile forms on my lips. 

"Thanks Em."

Emerson leans over and puts an arm around me and pats my back. 

I go back into my room and look in the mirror. I pull my long hair out of the ponytail it was in and smooth it out over my shoulders. I change out of my clothes, putting on my polo shirt and black jeans. 

My other cat, Galileo runs and jumps on the bed, spins in a circle, and lay down. I named him Galileo after the most famous astronomer. Pandora is named after one of Saturn's moons.

As a child, I always had my eyes on the sky. It all fascinated me. Gravity, planets, dark matter, stars, galaxies, constellations, all of it. My grandmother is an astronomy teacher at a university in Seattle, Washington; she taught me all there is to know about the sky. When I turned twelve, she bought me my first telescope. She showed me how to use it properly and how to spot the different planets in the sky. Saturn is my favorite planet, I had to stay up late to see it, it looked like a small dot and it's rings were magical. I first looked at the moon, it was like a bright orb and all its glory. 

I've always wanted to go to college for astronomy, but I chose cosmetology, and I'm not quite sure why. It's fun, but nothing like astronomy or cosmology.