Best of You

I clawed angrily at one of my books, shredding the pages, and groaned in frustration. The pressure my mother put me under to go to cosmetology school was enough to set me off. The fact that she wasn't going to show up to my supposed graduation angered me to no end. I finally sent my letter to Princeton, promising to attend sometime in the fall of next year. 

Nothing that my mother says is valid anymore, nor was I going to listen to her. Regardless of her one of many outbursts, I refused to answer any of her calls.

For the time being, I was still locked up in my room-moping around and destroying my things. I didn't want to talk to Emerson. And I missed Izzy, and Duff. I missed Izzy's shaggy hair, and quiet;gentle voice, and his shy smile. 

Emerson knocked softly on my door. "Will you please come outta there?" 

I remained silent and looked out my large window instead. 

I must've drifted to sleep, because soon there was another knock on my door and the sun seemed to have vanished from the sky. 

"Go away Emerson." I mumbled and tossed a book off my bed.

"It's not Emerson." A soft voice said

My ears perked and I looked at my door. If I had just heard the person right, it sounded like Izzy. I got up from my bed and crept to the door, putting my ear to the wood.

"Izzy?" I asked quietly

"Hey doll. Wanna talk?" He said happily

I twisted to lock open and slightly cracked the door. Izzy stood in front of my door with a small smile on his lips, and his warm, inviting eyes glowed at me. 

I pulled the door fully open and smiled widely

I pulled the door fully open and smiled widely. I threw my arms around him, I was more than happy to see him. Izzy chuckled and put his arms around me, and rested his head atop of mine. 

I let go and pulled him into my room and closed the door again. 

"What're you doing here?" I asked out of curiosity 

"Emerson called me, she was worried about you...and so am I. Are you all right?" 

"Yeah, I'm all right. Em and I just got into an argument." I said, avoiding his eyes

"Well, she also told me something about your mother. That made you furious." Izzy said, staring into my eyes

I looked away and stared at my model solar system that hung from my ceiling. 

"You have a cool room." Izzy whispered and glanced around. "I remember you said that you liked reading." He smiled, looking at my wall of books

I nodded gently and sat down on my bed. Izzy kneeled before me and set his hands on my thighs. 

"What's wrong?" He said seriously

I, again, avoided his gaze and remained silent. Telling people about how my family practically hates their own daughter is pretty embarrassing and pathetic. I never talked about how much my mother disapproved of me, and praised everything my sister did.