One

"Vic?" My mother asked as I shut the front door, rubbing my feet against the mat so that I wouldn't tred dirt into the house.

I frowned slightly, recognising the mildly anxious tone in her voice, "Yes, mom?"

It was around 5pm. I had just left my friend Jaime's house, having gone their for a few hors after school, and was now home, ready to just eat. Jaime would have come back with me for dinner but today he was busy going to some party with Mike and Alysha.

"Are you okay?" I asked, dropping my bag by the stairs and heading to the kitchen.

My mom was sat the the table, a man I recognised at her side. He was standing behind her, holding her hand while she looked up at me.

"Vic," the man greeted me and I nodded back in acknowledgement, still frowning in confusion.

"Sir," I mumbled back, not knowing how to address him.

"Please, call me Adam," he smiled, dimples showing, and I nodded, remaining silent. I had seen this Adam guy around, assuming my mother was seeing him. Looks like I assumed correctly.

"Hey, darlin', I have something to tell you," my mom smiled and I raised an eyebrow, my arms just straight by my sides while I tilted my head.

"What is it?" I asked and she looked up at Adam, a smile spreading across her face.

"This may be quite hard for you to hear, baby, but I'm getting married again."

My mouth dropped wide opened and I looked up at Adam. I had never really even met this guy! Sure, I see him at the house sometimes and knew my mom went out to see him, but am I really supposed to let some stranger into my household and pretend to be my father?

"Wh-..." I cut myself off, being utterly speechless. I went over everything for a moment before huffing and smiling sadly, "Good for you, mom."

She smiled slightly and I tried to muster one up back.

"When's the wedding?"

"A couple of months, on March 6th," Adam spoke, voice calm. I looked up and took his appearance in. I know I shouldn't judge him based on what he looks like but hey, at least he looks kinda friendly. Though, I didn't like the way he kept fiddling with his hands. Was he nervous? They've already told me so what's the big deal?

I suddenly wondered how my dad would feel now that my moms getting married for the second time sine he's died and felt a weight on my body, my lungs tight.

Looking up at my mom gravely, she recognised my expressions. She sighed, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Vic, but honestly, ever since your father died, you've hated all men I've gotten close to."

"Especially David," I growled and she nodded, looking down.

"Especially him. However, I really think you'll like Adam once you get to meet him. He works with the video game developers down town, and he has a son, too."

I looked up, my eyes wide. It was bad enough that she was getting married to someone I don't know but now I'm being forced to have another brother? I bet she's fucking glad that she's telling me before she tells Mike; he's going to flip out.

"He's your age, so it won't be too awkward with your younger brother, Mikey."

"Mike," I corrected him quickly. Definitely wouldn't want him getting into habit of calling my brother that- if he ever heard, Adam would never see the light of day again. Nobody calls him Mikey. Nobody expect mom.

"Right, sorry. Anyways, he's upstairs right now, actually, just using the bathroom."

As if on que, I heard a small shriek before a loud thudding noise, followed by some groaning and then a quiet, "Fuck this."

We rushed to the kitchen door, eyes peering down at the long, lanky body sprawled out on the floor by the foot of the stairs. He had dark hair and quite pale skin, one or two notcible tattoos on his arms.

He rubbed his ankle before sitting up, looking at us and tucking his messy hair behind his ear.

"Who's genius idea was it to leave their bag at the bottom of the stairs?" He asked, voice high but soothing at the same time, despite the sarcasm leaking from his tongue.

"O-Oops," I stuttered, feeling a firm hand pat my shoulder to comfort me.

"Don't worry about it, Vic. Excuse Kellin's impertinent behaviour."

"Yeah, yeah," Kellin rolled his eyes, pushing himself to his feet and dusting himself off. He looked very tall now that he was at his full height, his black clothing making him look very attractive as he looked at our parents.

"You two should get to know each other," my mother suggested, "Why don't you take him to your room?"

What, me, the nervous gay boy, take the intimidating, boyish, soon to be stepbrother of mine into my room? Great.

♡ ♢ ♡ ♡

Another book? Yes. I'll try to continue IJNM soon bit I've just been so inspired tow rite this book. It might be quite short and so will the chapters, but at least it won't get out of control :)

Also, I have been noticed 5 times already this month, once by Kell, twice by Danielle and twice by Alysha. Talk about FAB-ruary.

- Ace ✌

#KellinIsALittleShit

^ This book's hashtag. Feel free to add your own, I might update again tonight.