Sixteen

"I like your hair like this," I continued trying to make conversation, reaching over and fiddling with the slight curls forming in his now black hair. It looked a lot healthier like this, I don't know how.

"Don't touch my hair, I'm driving, dumbass," he commented, using the back his his hand to more my hands away from him.

I sighed, moving back into my seat properly but staying with my body turned to face him slightly. I rested with my head leaning against the seat, to my left, while I looked out the window behind his face.

"How much did you have to drink?" He asked, eyes peering at me for a second before averting back to the road.

"Not much," I lied, kind of, and started playing with my hands.

"How many drinks did you have?" He asked, more firmly this time, and I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to ignore all the feelings I had when he spoke like that.

"Only, like, four," I mumbled, shutting my eyes briefly.

He scoffed, "For drinks? Vic, you're at a bar. If you blurted something out or got caught-"

"-You'd get all the shit from our parents, yeah yeah. Made it pretty clear already that you don't give a fuck about me in all this."

"That's not true," he said, looking at me again when I opened my eyes.

I could tell he didn't like me cutting him off but his lips remained sealed shut as he pulled into the driveway, parking the car and pulling out the keys.

We sat in silence for a few moments before he cleared his throat and got out, me quickly following after him. I took off my seatbelt and opened the car door, shutting it behind me and making my way up to the front door.

Kellin used his keys to lock his car before opening the front door and letting me in, walking off and leaving me to shut if behind me.

He was about head strait upstairs but I decided to do something dumb and call after him.

"Wait-" I tried. He stopped, turning round.

"Yes?"

I walked over to him and he loomed down at me, his height even greater now that he was a little further up the stairs.

"Please... Please stop ignoring me."

He shook his head.

"I already told you, this is how I treat all of my family. You want to be my little brother and that's the smart thing to do. However, I don't talk to family. I'm not a very nice person and I really don't think getting close to my step brother is a good idea."

"Kellin," I pleaded, my brown eyes begging him.

"Sorry, bro," he added the end on as he turned and headed up the stairs. I was quick to follow him, stopping him again as we got nearer to his bedroom door.

"K-Kell- I... Your dad told me about you."

"And, what? You feel bad?" He snapped and I could tell there was something off about that. Maybe something happened or he didn't like sympathy for his mental disorder. I can't blame him.

"No," I stood my ground, telling the truth. "I don't feel bad. You can't help it, it's just how you are. There's no problem with it at all, as long as you take your medication."

He became less tense when those words left my mouth, though he still looked annoyed.

"Okay, so what is it you want? Go do stuff you'd normally do and leave me alone."

I mustered up the courage to move closer, "What if I don't want to?"

He paused, looking at me intently.