Twenty Four

After heading home later that day and desperately trying to cover up my bruises with some of the makeup both Danielle and Alysha had left in our bathroom, which failed epically, Adam and my mother told us that we were going out to dinner again.

Kellin was his usual, quiet self, with the exception of the few snark-filled comments he shot his father's way, not even making an effort to talk to me when we were away from our parents. Maybe something was on his mind and he'd talk again when his mood changed. After all, it had been a while since I'd been living with them and I had obviously picked up on Kellin's habits. Adam on the other hand was a lot harder to read.

No matter how hard I tried, I still couldn't understand why our parents were getting married. I felt sick thinking that maybe we are wrong and they are in love but it just felt like a lie. Mom wouldn't just move on so quickly from dad, would she? I guess it had been two years...

A frown made its way onto my face, my cut lip stinging slightly as I remembered what Ronnie said earlier.

"I trust this dinner is going to go better than the last one, Kellin?"

Adams firm voice sliced through my thoughts, subtly bringing me back to reality. However long I had been gazing off for, I was unaware of, though by the looks of things it hadn't been too long.

From the end of the table, Kellin looked up at his father, his expression unreadable as he rolled his eyes. His elbows were on the table and chin rested in his left hand, the other fiddling with his glossy dark hair out of habit.

A sigh escaped him as he smirked slightly, blue-green eyes hooded and bored while gazing at his father. The more I looked between them, the more I realised Adam was trying to read him too. Adam had no idea what his son was thinking either, which upset me. Not in a sad way, it just didn't feel right. There was an obviously sensation in my gut, though barely noticeable, when I looked at the twenty year old who I had thought I was growing closer to.

"Don't worry, Adam," Kellin chided childishly, lips finally stretched into a smile as he challenged his father with the look in his eyes, "I'll behave for now."

Adam clenched his jaw but said nothing more, nodding and turning his attention to my mom.

"That goes for you too, boys," she said sternly, though her face held no emotion. Well, rather, it seemed like she just didn't care about us anymore.

I guess this is more similar to what Mike and I were used to.

"So, Michael, Victor, how was school today?" Adam began a new conversation, clapping his hands together as he offered a smile.

Hearing someone call me Victor sent a tingling through my chest and my body nearly involuntarily cringed. I held it back though, trying to ignore the sick shivers crawling down my spine.

"Don't call us that. It's Mike and Vic. We've told you before," my brother stated blankly, looking at Adam with a challenging look in his eyes that almost matched Kellin's.

Adam nodded, "Ah, my apologies. Sorry, I forgot." His soft eyes peered at Mike and I, looking for something. I couldn't tell what it was; Acceptance? A reply?

The whole while I was trying to figure out his eye colour. They seemed a caramel colour in some light, though in here they looked a greeny-blue shade, similar to his son's. Most of his features were completely different to Kellin's, leading me to think be got all his looks from his mother, but every now and again I'd notice something that was undeniably when Kellin got it from.

"School was fine." I answered for his amusement.

"Yeah, until you got beat up by fucking Ronnie Radke," Kellin scoffed. "I ought to go find that kid and smash his face in... Oh yeah, I'll teach him what pain really tastes like."