Week 10

Luke bit his lip, looking at the door again. He was just waiting on his late boyfriend.

Yes, boyfriend.

Michael wanted to make things official and Luke couldn't agree more. Three days into their new relationship, Michael was already late for an event. Luke cut him some slack but he lost three boyfriend points from the ten he earned the first two days.

Doctor Harper spoke up, "I know how important it is to have your loved ones here with you but we must start now. I have a couple coming in right after you."

Luke sighed. He didn't want to keep another couple waiting. He knew they would want to get in here and find out more information of their baby. Luke nodded in agreement, letting Dr. Harper prepare him for the ultrasound.

The door swung open, the handle hitting the wall and a panting Michael rushing through the door way. He threw his car keys and phone onto the cushioned bench in the room and sat in a chair placed next Luke. "I'm so sorry I was late. The guys at the pizza place we're holding me back and wouldn't let me go. I'm here now though."

Luke smiled, glad that Michael didn't miss anything too big. He grabbed his blue haired boyfriend's hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Michael, do you want to help me put the gel on?" Doctor Harper asked, putting a pair of latex-free gloved on. Michael nodded quickly, standing back up and waited for directions. Dr. Harper squirted some of the gel onto Luke's barely noticeable baby bump and had Michael spread it out around his stomach. Luke giggled, feeling small tickles from Michael's fingers and the cold gel.

After throwing away their gloves, Doctor Harper grabbed the ultrasound stethoscope and placed it on Luke's stomach, moving it around slowly. Michael and Luke stared intently at the screen, seeing a small blur of white.

"There is your baby. The baby is about the size of a kumquat. If you don't know what a kumquat is, then we will say it is about the size of a prune. You two ready to hear the heartbeat?"

Luke took in a sharp breath, nodding along with Michael. Doctor Harper smiled at the two.
"This is one of my favorite parts of my job."
She flipped a switch in the wand and a rapid thumping was heard. Luke felt tears brim his eyes as he heard his baby's heartbeat for the first time. He smiled widely, looking over at Michael who was wiping tears off of his cheeks. Luke's boyfriend chuckled, continuing to wipe his tears.

"It's a beautiful sound. So precious." Michael whispered, feeling his tears dry away. He continued to hold Luke's hand as he pecked Luke's lips.

Luke could definitely get used to this.

~~~~~~~~

Dear Baby,

Today we heard your heartbeat for the first time. It honestly sounded like horses galloping but it was a gorgeous sound. Your heartbeat made Daddy's boyfriend cry! Your beating heart is the most amazing thing.
You are so little in Daddy's tummy. You are only the size of a kumquat! Whatever the heck that is. Doctor Harper says you are basically the size of a prune. Grandma Liz loved prunes. She would have loved you too. As well as Grandpa Andrew. They are probably loving you from heaven.

I love you, kumquat.

Love Daddy