Chapter 30- DaiShille/Jarmille AU

I got this idea while scrolling through Instagram and finding this adorable and depressing OTP Scenario. And I got inspired. #SorryNotSorry. Prepare for feels!

Camille runs into the throne room, clutching her bleeding arm. The Pai Zhua have begun their attack, and she's been hit badly while fighting at the front. She tries her best to hide her wound, as well as the many bruises and cuts that scatter her body, so Dai Shi doesn't yell at her for being weak, but he sees them. He can see the blood making it's way down her arm. He can see the bruise that forced her left eye to stay shut. He can see the cut which a Pai Zhua student had made above her left breast, that was bleeding too.

"M-Master, we're being overrun! This generation of students are incredibly powerful, and the five rangers plus their masters are helping to make this harder for us! The three overlords have already been destroyed and the phantom beasts and generals are slowly dropping too! W-We can't hold them off for much longer!" She says in a desperate tone. Her heart is pounding in her chest. She's done all she can on the front lines. Now she has to defend her beloved.

"We have done all we can?"

"Yes! Every beast is fighting and dying! The Rin Shi are being killed quicker than they're being created! The humans aren't fearing anymore!" She feels tears prick at her good eye. "W-We can't hold them off from here for much longer... We've lost. I'm sorry..."

"Camille..."

Camille looks up and sees that Dai Shi has stood up from his throne, and is now in front of her, looking down at her with concern, fear... And love. She blinks a couple times and tries to fight back her tears.

"I'm so sorry... I can't do anything aside from protect you for a few extra seconds... You have to get out of here."

"No." She gasps as his deep, surprisingly soft voice responds almost instantly.

"No!? But Master, if you don't, then they'll-!"

"I know. But I know when my time is up. And I suppose that time is now... Camille, I... I suppose since we only have a few minutes left, I should ask you something... Something I've been wanting to ask for a while..."

"Uhm... Sure. Go ahead."

She's surprised to say the least when he goes on one knee, and places a small, simple diamond and emerald ring on her ring finger. "Every king has a queen.... Will you be mine?"

Silence.

"Y-Yes...! Yes I will!" He hears the happiness within her voice, and he smiles. He kisses her hand. Then stands up and kisses her lips. "I love you...!"

"I love you too. Now... How do we enjoy our last moments?" He says in a surprisingly bold tone. He doesn't seem to mind that these are indeed his last few moments, unless the students see fit to spare his life, which he can already tell is a hope that will never happen.

"I... I would like one last dance with you. If that's okay."

"I like that idea."

"Good."

He wraps his arms around her waist and she places her arms around his neck, resting her forehead against his. She can only see through one eye, but through that one eye she can see the love of her life smiling at her with such warmth and love, something she's almost never felt before, that she's close to crying. The two begin to slow dance in the middle of the throne room.

"....You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away."

Her soft voice starts to sing as the two dance. His heart begins to race as he listens. He knows this song.

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried."

As she continues to sing, she looks up at him once again, looking at him directly in the eyes. This wasn't Dai Shi. But Jarrod. The one who had saved her countless times, the one who had been there for her, the one who had protected her.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away."

He starts to sing now, his deep but soft voice singing along with her at the chorus of the beautiful and sad song they knew all too well.

"I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me to love another
You'll regret it all some day...."

He feels tears prick at his eyes as he sings to her, he feels such regret for not asking for her hand in marriage sooner. But now was better than never.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away."

They can hear the footsteps of the Pai Zhua academy storming through the temple to the throne room. Camille begins to tremble, but Jarrod holds her protectively.

"You told me once dear, you really loved me
And no one else dear, could come between
But now you've left me and love another
You have shattered all my dreams.."

They can hear the yells and voices, much louder now. They're in the room, bursting through the throne room doors. Yet they stay there, continuing to quietly sing to each other.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you-"

They both feel the swords plunged through their chests. He smiles. She smiles.

The two fall to the floor, almost lifeless.

With his last breath, he whispers "I love you."

He gets no response.

But the ring sparkling on her finger is more than enough.

Jarrod slowly shuts his eyes.

"I'm sorry..."