18. Crashback

Everyone approached the grave silently. Jude laid flowers in a case that sat beside the grave, and whispered to his wife.

"Everything's ok now, Darling. Thanks for standing by me, and our lucky Lucy." He smiled sorrowfully at the grave, and then stood back with Lucys friends. A wind gently brushed through Lucy hair that laid down elegantly on her shoulders. She rolled close to the grave, and felt it's concrete texture. The spelling of Layla Heartfilia ran against Lucys fingertips. Her eyes welled up.

"I think everything's turning up. I love you mommy... I-I miss you so much." She stuttered with sorrow as her heart sank. A hand laid on Lucys shoulder. She could recognize the warm palm anywhere, and blushed happily as she laid her head against it. Tears streamed down her face as she smiled. The friends gave their respect, and everyone left beside Lucy, and Natsu. As they were leaving Lucy laid her hand on the grave one more time more tears falling down her face. She felt thumbs trace against her cheeks, wiping her tears.

"I'm here, Luce." He said softly. Lucy nodded feeling slight relief.

"I need someone to talk to..." She said softly. Her eyes were puffy, and pink. She'd almost cried all day long. She thought it was time for someone to hear her story soon enough.

"What's wrong?" Natsu asked holding her delicate hands.

"I just wanna tell you my story... If that's alright with you." Lucy whispered as they stayed close to her mother's grave.

-

"I remember the smell pretty well. It smelt of laundry. The floor felt smooth. If I took my shoes off I could've slid on it like I was at a skating rink. It looked bright, and the tall windows would show the sky, and planes lifting off. I got onto the plane, and the smell was more of a waiting room then, the floor was more of a thin carpet, and bumped against my feet. I sat down next to a-a very sweet old couple..." Lucy sniffled, and quickly kept talking, "They offered me mints, and gum, and candy. They were so... Kind. The women in front of us was about my fathers age, and had a teenage boy, and a little boy. They would look behind and talk to us about what they were doing, what they liked, and some stories. I thought it was cool... We stopped talking about ten minutes, but it was a nice few minutes. The teenage boy talked to me a little longer. About his swimming class, and such. After I went to the bathroom I'd been about... Two hours since we lifted off, and I sat back down next to the couple, the women was sleeping between me and the old man. Suddenly..." Lucy took a deep breath, "The plane shook, and gradually got worse. The pilot told us it was just turbulence. But we were still scared out of our minds. We buckled but it was too late. Some people were now floating as the plane twisted, and turn. I felt myself begin to jolt around hysterically. I felt my heart disintegrate. My life flashing before my eyes. The lights wouldn't stop flickering. I saw the old couple.... The family in front of me... The teenage boy looked as if he was... D-drowning... All their faces looked at me; dark circles, and wide fearful eyes. Desperate for their lives to be spared. Their faces haunting me. Then it felt so painful..."

"Luce..." Natsu whispered as Lucy held back her whales.

"All their faces are permanently stuck in my brain... And the thought of them all dead... I-I wonder why I lived, and not... Them..."

"Luce... You were lucky to live. Those people may have died but they must be so happy... to watch you live on for them, and always thinking about them. You are admirable, and very special. Everywhere you go you draw a crowd, and make everyone happy. You've done that for them, and they will strengthen you for you not forgetting about them even if it's hard for you to." Natsu held her hands tightly, "You were very brave from the beginning to now. You were kind. You were fun. You were beautiful. And you've definitely changed my life, and I wouldn't doubt you didn't change theirs, or anybody else's." He ensured. Tears streaked down her red cheeks as she laid her head in his chest.

"Thank you, Natsu..." Lucy whispered with a crack in her voice, finally relieved to finally tell somebody her experience. The friends, and father turned looking at the two patiently.

"You ready?" Gray called with a smile. Lucy nodded; Natsu as red as a tomato as she kept holding his hand with a tight grip.