Chapter 12- Reunited

''We've arrived,'' the driver informs me as he pulls to a slow halt outside the main building. I snap from my daydream, somewhat relieved that I'm finally back at school- anything was better than being back 'home'...a home with so many horrible, horrible memories. 

''Thank you,'' I say quietly, before saying a goodbye and getting out of the car. I walk around to the back to open it up, just as I feel a hand on mine- oh so familiar. I release the deepest of breaths, slightly leaning back into the strong, muscular body of Peeta who stood behind me. I shut my eyes, relishing in the moment as he turns me around and envelopes me into a protective hug, my head falling to rest on his chest as I inhale his musk.

''You're back now, it's alright,'' he whispers softly to me. I pull away, giving him a small smile as he returns a sad one back to me. ''I'm so sorry Katniss,'' he says, stepping forward and grabbing my bags. He taps on the back on the car letting the driver know they're free to leave, before taking a hold of my hand and walking me to reception for me to sign back in.

''Welcome back sweetie,'' Miss Trinket says with a tone of what seemed like sympathy. ''You won't be expected to go back to classes straight away next week, but of course you're welcome to. Take the weekend to yourself and we'll talk about next steps on Monday, I know how hard the loss of a loved one can be,'' she says softly. I smile, slightly taken back by her compassion, before leaving to go back to the girl's dormitory. Truthfully, I was happy to see Johanna and Annie after a week, somehow being with them made things seem a lot better than they actually were.

''Peet, you aren't allowed in here,'' I whisper as we approach the front of the building. ''They'll see you,'' I say, my voice quiet from the amount of despair that had overcome me.

''I can come in the back way? Or I can come back later tonight, everyone else is going out but I want to be with you,'' he suggests instead.

''That'd be nice, I'll see you later,'' I smile. I walk towards him, wrapping my arms around him, pulling him close and happy to have him by my side again. Just feeling the heat of his body on mine brought such a comfort, and feeling the steady beat of his heart almost gave me the steadiness and assurance I needed.

''Hey, I've missed you,'' he smiles as I begin to turn away. A small, yet genuine, smile appears on my face as his little words meant so much.

''I've missed you too Peeta,'' I tell him, turning away and dragging my bags behind me. I walk down the winding corridors to my room, and take a deep breath, before placing my finger onto the scanner and unlocking the door. Annie suddenly appears around the corner and pulls me into another hug, her motherly instinct taking over. The past week I'd sufficiently worried about Annie and how she was coping, but it seemed as if today was a good day for her- she had the lost glint back in her eyes. ''Hey,'' I say, bringing myself to smile at her. ''You alright?'' I ask, pulling away and taking a grip on her wrists to show my seriousness.

''I'm great, honestly. Things are...well they're looking up. I won't ask how you are, but I'm here for you okay?'' She says sternly, a noticeable softness still in her voice.

''I know, thank you. Where's Jo?'' I ask, looking around as we walk into the main space of our room.

''She's showering, she should be back any moment,'' Annie says, starting to unpack my bags for me.

''I can do that,'' I frown, starting to help her.

''Yes, but you can't fold things for shit,'' she jokes, managing to let a laugh escape my mouth.

''That's true,'' I laugh, shaking my head at her.

''Have you seen Peeta yet?'' She asks, making general conversation as she continues to put everything back into its place.