Part 142- Strange Turn of Events

They start to pull him toward the makeshift prison hearing someone yelling stop. The Sailors stop suddenly and he looks over the president standing there "Why is this man in cuffs?" the Sailor looks at him "Treason Desertion and Espionage" the president looks at him "Gunny why are you really in binds" he drops his head "My wife was kidnapped at our wedding" he pauses a moment "I couldnt wait for orders I had to go while the trail was still hot and finally after almost four months i finally freed her and as soon as I did I turned myself in to face trial for my actions" he looks at Doug "Is this true?" Doug nods "I was at the wedding and myself and my squad took him in" General Garrison walks over "Sir that kid has done nothing wrong he just did what no one else was willing to" the president looks at him "Whats your wifes name?" he stands up straight "Anastasia Sir" he looks at General Garrison "So this is your son in law that was indisposed" he nods "He knew I couldnt go and no one else was able to so he put it all on the line for his wife and was willing to suffer the consequences for things he didnt do just for her" he looks at the president "Any man would have done the same" the president looks at him "No not any man would have and thats why Im pardoning you" he points to the Sailors "Hes free you reinstate his rank and release him and as for those charges they were never filed" the Sailors salute and uncuff him saluting. He shakes the presidents hand "Sir what I did was wrong I should be punished" the president smiles "Whats right is not always whats best and its men like you that do whats right even when its hard" the president salutes him and he salutes back "I hung that medal around your neck son and you saved my life that day and again today this country and I owe you for all youve risked and all youve lost your place right now is with your wife now go" he gulps "Thank you sir and I know my wife would say the same" he smiles "My god daughter needs you get going Darkhorse" he nods and salutes the General running to Anas side pushing others out of the way kneeling next to her hospital bed Ana looking at him "How?" she whispers softly and he kisses her hand "Dont worry about how just know Im here" she leans over and hugs him and he just wraps his arms around her a tear slowly rolling down his cheek beneath the glasses. He kisses her cheek and Sasha smiles rubbing her stomach looking at them. He stands up and Ana lays back down holding his hand. He looks at her "You know theyll want to debrief you" she nods "I know I wont be able to do it without you it was far too traumatic" he frowns and takes his mask and glasses off setting them in his helmet Ana looking at his shoulder "Oh my God your shoulder" he touches it and looks at her "Its fine" she looks at him "Alex its clean through and cauterized what was it?" he smiles "RPG hit my shield the armor piercing round shot molten tungsten through a fleshy part of my shoulder" she gasps "You could have gotten killed!" he touches her cheek and smiles "You have no idea how much I missed hearing that" she cant help but smile trying to be mad "Your so reckless" she says trying so hard not to smile" he kisses her "I know and I will be more careful but it was necessary it was that or the president Ill heal he would have been killed" a Corpsman walks over looking at the wound "Wow you should be dead Gunny" he looks at him "Just clean and stitch it Doc" Ana holds his hand Doug standing by Sasha looking at him "Your a slippery bastard you know that" he smirks "A master never teaches all his tricks bud" he looks at Doug "I survived in Cherbourg all by my lonesome I did the job of a whole squad by myself its just a matter of knowing which position to play at which time." Doug shakes his head "You shook us every time we were always one step behind you" he chuckles "I trained you all I know all of you I know how each of you is and how you act as Sun Tzu said know your enemy as you know yourself and in this case you were my" he pauses and outs up quotations "Enemy so I used what I knew" Doug shakes his head "But we all know you just as well and still we failed" he smirks "Bud what the Marines field motto" Doug shakes his head "Improvise adapt and overcome" he nods "Like you chucking your Mosin like a spear into that helicopter cockpit" Doug shrugs "Either way were glad your back" he nods and Jarrod and Travis walk over. He looks at Jarrod "Im proud of you" Jarrod nods taking the purple mask off "It wasnt easy but its worth it" he nods and hands him the mask "Just like I promised you asked" Jarrod looks at him "Never expected that curve ball but then it all added up Cherbourg the desert all of it" he takes the mask back and nods "Well either way our job is just beginning" Jarrod and Doug nod Ana gripping his hand tighter Sasha sitting solemnly. He looks off into the distance seeing the base burning knowing theyll be going back into that.