Part 8- Resistance

He wakes in the early morning hours looking out to the street below watching Russians patrolling the city now quiet. He gathers his gear and heads out onto the street watching carefully for patrols wondering if he should try and make radio contact or if he should remain quiet. He stops in an alley taking a moment and pulling her picture out kissing it wishing she only knew how much he loved her. He slides it away his heart heavy and keeps moving trying to keep himself together. He knows the enemy will be searching for him trying to find the one who killed the Germans. He feels sick knowing what hes done, but at the same time he knows he had to it was them or him. He comes to a row of shops slipping inside and searching around finding some civilian clothes and in a back room he finds the body of a young French woman with long red hair next to her is a little boy no older than 4 with a bag of green toy soldiers. He kneels down and touches them both cold a single gunshot to the head is what killed them. He nearly cries staring at these poor souls picking up the army men he nods realizing why hes here. His purpose is clear and his cause rings true he must prevent this he must fight for those that cant. He puts the bag of toy soldiers on his belt and stands up saying a prayer for the two softly closing their eyes and turning away. He thinks of the innocence lost of what they must have endured before they passed what she must have said to calm the boy and how they both must have been terrified. He leaves the building feeling horrible looking at his rifle knowing he can change this that he can make a difference jogging up the street out for blood wanting to avenge those poor souls. He slips into a building cleaning his rifle and watching patiently wishing he had searched the Germans for intelligence. He loads it laying prone and watching the road below waiting for a patrol sitting still a few hours passing as he dozes. He falls into a soft sleep seeing her face suddenly contorting he sees her on the floor laying in that small shop shooting awake. He sees a Russian column below watching counting 15 men and two trucks slowly scoping in he targets the commisar lining up the shot holding his breath and pulling the trigger the shot slamming into his skull splattering his brains. The column stops in surprise and he targets a Sergeant pulling the trigger the Sergeant dropping another coming out he puts a shot through his neck then kills the drivers reloading the Russians firing at his position. He keeps low crawling to another window and opening up again taking out a few Corporals the Russians in disarray. He reloads and takes out the remaining few watching below no movement coming from them. He heads below knowing more men will be coming searching the bodies taking any ammo and searching the commisar finding a map of defences in the area trying to orient himself. He moves quick knowing he has to get out before reinforcements arrive leaving a green toy soldier on the commisars body. He takes cover in an apartment complex a few blocks away eating a quick MRE and moving further into the downtown finding an abandoned warehouse watching from the rafters out onto the street below. He cleans his Mosin again and watches patiently knowing he needs to lay low for a few days and establish himself as the city returns to normal activity. Hes the resistance now the knife in the dark and the man who can be that thorn in the dogs side. He changes into civilian clothes and starts reading his French dictionary knowing he'll need to blend in.