Part 64- Headed Out

The next two weeks pass flawlessly Ana and his family bonding while he spends time with them. The day they have to leave finally comes around and the two are in his room packing. He puts his clothes and all into his sea bag the worn bag still saying PFC Davila on it from his first deployment. He pulls the chords tight closing the bag and looks at it a moment looking around at his things the life he led before the Corps written on these walls. He looks at Ana and smiles hugging her from behind and kissing her cheek "Love you sweetheart" she smiles and places her hands on his "I love you too" she turns around and kisses him "I cant believe we only have a week left" he smiles a bit "Well make it count darling but then its off to war for me and back to school for you your so close to your degree in computer science" she smiles bittersweetly "I know I am really going to miss you" he holds her close "Ana theres something I need to say" she smiles "What is it?" he gulps hard "Ana if we survive the distance between us and the stress of school and the war." he pauses a moment gathering himself "When I get back Im taking you to the church and were getting married" she smiles and kisses him "I agree I think we will and honestly I wouldnt have it any other way" he smiles a bit and she playfully slaps his chest "But when you ask me to marry you next time you better have a ring" he chuckles and nods "Aye Aye" he hugs her tight "Ana but if something should happen I need you to promise me something" she looks at him "Whats that?" he looks in her eyes "I want you to move on should I get killed find another man thatll take care of you and makes you happy" she looks at him "Please dont talk like that" she hugs him tighter "Your not getting killed your coming back to me" he smiles a bit and hugs her tight saying nothing. He kisses her head and she lets go the two heading downstairs everyone sitting at the table. He sets his cap down and sits down Ana sitting next to him. His father looks at them "You two fly safe Ana its been a pleasure to meet you and Alex keep your head down" he nods and looks at them "I got each of you something" he passes Jarrod a book "Marine Corps martial arts handbook" he passes his sisters each a set of earrings with their birthstones in them. He gives his mother a gold neckless with a tiny pendant of a book on it and he gives his father the hog meat and slips him an M16 bolt under the table. He gets up and hugs his mom and sisters shaking his fathers hand and his brothers. They go to leave and his brother stands up "Wait I wanted to do this while you were here  Alex but i didnt know how" he looks at the family "Ive enlisted in the Army" he looks at his brother "When did you do this?" he brother looks at him "2 months ago" his father sighs and his mother just stares "I have to do my part as well you cant be the only one out there" he nods "Jarrod do you realize the magnitude of this decision?" he nods "I know the blank check" he shakes his hand "Best of luck kid keep your damn head down and dont try to be a hero" he salutes his brother who smiles "Thanks soon Ill be in the infantry like you with the airborne" he nods "Good men tough as nails" he says his final goodbye and the two leave. He just sits quietly driving Ana looking at him "You okay?" he just nods "Is it about your brother?" he nods and sighs "Kids an idiot he has no idea what this war is" she takes his hand "Neither did you but look at what youve become" he sighs "Ana Im not proud of what I am I wouldnt wish this on anybody there's something terrible about war a man loses himself there and he can never be the same. I cant look at the world the same I can never truly let my guard down and I can never talk about what Ive done and try to cope with it" she squeezes his hand "Well your a special case your someone stronger than the rest but your brother will make as good a soldier as you are a Marine." he smiles and kisses her hand "Ana your a real special girl" she smiles "Takes a special girl to be with a guy like you" he looks at her and smiles "Whats that mean?" she just smiles "It means I know just how lucky I am" he kisses her hand "I think Im the lucky one" she giggles and just smiles. They arrive at the airport and board their plane bound for Quantico landing and heading to the Generals house Garrison sitting on his front porch smoking a cigar and rocking in his chair with a bottle of Tennessee bourbon. They walk up and he tips his hat "Afternoon" he shakes his hand "Afternoon sir" she hugs him "Hi dad" he stands up "Good to see you two" he nods and Ana smiles "Taking care of my daughter I assume?" he nods "Aye sir" and the General chuckles and motions them inside her mother watching TV she gets up hugging Ana and then hugging him he turns bright red not expecting it. She smiles "Good to have you two home before you ship back out and you go back to MIT" Ana smiles and he just nods. They head upstairs and settle in the familiar room and people a reminder how close to the war he is.