Part 175- Memories

They grab some things and get ready to head home the General coming in "Hey Gunny" he looks "Yes sir?" the General tosses him a set of keys "Theres your company car keep it" he looks at the keys curiously heading into the parking lot Doug and Sasha finding Sashas Mustang. He presses the alarm button and three rows back he can hear the alarm. He walks back and smiles seeing the Z28 he had in New York the new gunmetal paint job with silver stripes "The Gunny" stenciled above the driver side door. He looks at Ana who just shakes her head and smiles while he opens the door for her. He gets in and pulls out sitting behind Sasha at a stop sign waiting to turn onto the main road Ana looking at him "You better not" she says giggling and he just smirks "Watch me" Sasha finally goes and he pulls out beside her seeing its actually Doug driving. They come to a stoplight on a back country road and pull up side by side. He revs his engine and Doug just shakes his head and smirks revving back. He can see Sasha is cringing the light going green both cars smoking the tires. He shifts and the Camaro grips and takes off the Mustang hot on its tail keeping neck and neck. He sees Doug take off into a tobacco field and keeps going a few minutes down the road he flies out of the field tobacco flying everywhere the Mustang jumping back onto the road. He guns it harder and slips off into a field seeing a curve coming up and gunning it harder drifting right in front of the Mustang catching Doug off guard the two laying into the cars at this point the Camaro pulling ahead. They continue racing to the base pulling into their driveways getting out Sasha yelling Elvira coming out of their house with the baby. He walks inside and collapses on the couch Ana smiling and laughing "Your getting desert sand all over my white couch" he rolls on his back and unties his boots kicking them off Ana kneeling next to him and touching his face "Get a shower" she says smiling. He sits up and pulls her close putting his head against her stomach Ana running her hands through his hair. He rolls her blouse up a bit and kisses her stomach then looks up into her eyes smiling a bit "Its the scariest and most thrilling thing knowing we'll be parents" she sniffles "I know" she says her voice cracking a tear welling in her eye. She smiles a bit "If I only knew what would come of that dinner so long ago" he stands up and pulls her close "I thought you were such a spoiled brat" she smiles a bit "And you seemed like an arrogant Marine sitting there profiling everyone" she kisses him "And now here we are" he nods "You a Navy Lieutenant and I a Marine Gunnery Sergeant" she smiles "And here I thought you were a cook" he chuckles and sighs softly "Theres days I wish I was and theres others I realize how worth it it all really is to do what I do" she puts her head against his chest "I wish we could tell them" he kisses her head "I wish I could but its best they dont baby" he stares at the wall "I dont want them to idolize what I did and think it was glorious and honorable. That war is some game where men go for medals and stories" he sighs "When really its where young hearts go to die where every fiber of your being is tested. Its the sick smell of death mixed with sweat and cordite." she looks up at him "Then why not tell them and make them understand" he kisses her "Because if I cant even understand then how can i expect them too?" she sighs "I guess but I dont care what you say they will know their father was a Marine in the third world war even if i cant say what you did I can atleast tell them where you were" he smiles a bit "As you wish" she smiles a bit "Then I can regale them with stories of how we met" he chuckles and she looks at him "When did you realize I would be your wife?" he smiles "Ill let you know when I do I still wake up and have to make sure im not dreaming that Im married to such an amazing woman" she smiles and he kisses her "But I knew you were the one from that first kiss on the beach. It was like all was right with the world and all the bad melted away and became something perfect and I get to relive that and fall in love all over again every time Im with you" she sniffles "God you make me melt" he kisses her and smiles "When did it click for you?" she smiles a bit "When I saw how hard you were willing to fight for my father my mother and myself and you barely knew us. It was that exact moment when you kissed me and sat me on that chopper. Ill never forget watching you grow smaller as we flew away and you just stood there willing to sacrifice it all to save just one person. I thought you would die that day I truly thought you would be coming home in a box and then when you stepped off that chopper covered in mud with your ghillie suit on I couldn't believe it and it was then I knew you were it for me" he looks in her eyes "I love you" he says softly and she smiles bittersweetly "I love you" she whispers pulling him closer to her. He picks her up and she laughs taking her to a shower washing away the sand the mud and the blood staining the water red and yellow the two washing away yesterday for today.