++ | ilovedyou

❝ please do not break my heart,
i think it's had enough pain to last the rest of my life ❞

- 10 am, gare du nord by keaton henson

A/N: the finale

☾epilogue pt.2☽

WALTER'S P.O.V.

I woke up to a silent buzz in my ears, gradually getting louder and louder until I sat up tiredly, unaware of where I was at. I tried to press my fingers to my ears in attempt to quiet the voice but he only grew louder. I combed my fingers through my messy brown hair and blinked when I saw a figure beside me.

"Kyle, what are you doing here?" I asked, my voice gruff from just having woken up. What was May's son doing here, where was I?

Kyle stretched his small arms and rubbed his eyes sleepily. "Auntie tucked me in," he said in his small child's voice.

I blinked once again, the fog disappearing from my vision. Realization hit me, we were at the jail, or the asylum, where Carter had forced me to come to. The constant hum in my ear being his.

Sitting further up, I straightened my clothes before suddenly jumping out of bed, causing Kyle to look at me crazily. "Where's Halo?" I asked Kyle.

His small hands knotted the blankets in his hands. An image of him as a teenager suddenly choked my vision—a troubled boy who could potentially be as dangerous as his father. Kyle smiled suddenly and let go of the blankets.

"Daddy says he has Halo, she's in trouble though," he wrinkled up his small face and frowned. 

"Come with me," I said to Kyle before running towards the door with him in my arms.

It had been five years since Halo had gone into a coma from jumping off the bridge, and five years since I went into a coma from my house fire. People had found our relationship strangely beautiful, as though we had found each other in our comatose dreams—which we did.

She wasn't strong and neither was I. We were just trying to save ourselves, to simply survive. Carter was trying to kill me, and I knew it, but I would rather die than drag Halo into this mess like I'd already done.

Life had just looked up for me—we had bought an apartment, my therapy was nearly done, we were thinking about a family.

I was in the car at this point, driving. I knew where they were at—had seen it a million times in a million dreams over the course of my life. She was standing on the bridge, her hair whipping around her and a bottle of alcohol in her hand. I had been there the day she had jumped—been at the party, seen the way she lit up the room the instant she walked in. She was an angel.

Everything was a mess. My head was a mess. Kyle was asleep in the backseat, not caring that I was driving like a maniac on the foggy road. My buttoned up flannel was probably buttoned wrong.

As the bridge came into view I swallowed the rising bile in my throat. I didn't save her that night—I could've grabbed her before she jumped. It was only when I was a ghost that I even came close to saving her. And now that Carter has her I had another chance to save her.

I tried to suppress the memories. I never told her that I always admired her at school, but I was just some kid that never got spared a second glance. She shimmered like light, ethereal and golden, while I was just another kid.

I had talked to her a little that night at the party. The party which was a day before my own house blew up in flames, which I somehow survived unscathed, but shocked to the point of comatose.