24| past life

❝ you've got a second chance,
you could go home.
escape it all. ❞

- medicine by daughter

A/N: i am literally crying

☾24☽

Before I could grab the door handle, I was suddenly tackled.

Looking up, I saw that Liam had found us.

He laughed. "Looks like you didn't make it in time."

I felt hands around my waist as Walter tried to pry me off of him. He whispered in my ear, "I think this is another hallucination. This tunnel must be our worst fears."

"This isn't my fear," I struggled to say while punching Liam in the lip.

My blow didn't do much. In fact, it only enraged him.

"Yeah, I know," said Walter who was now kicking Liam's side. "It's mine."

Suddenly being punched in the nose by Liam, I fell to the side, and felt my head hit the dirty ground of the tunnel.

I wiped my nose and stood up weakly. "And what's that?"

"You getting hurt."

I stopped. "Walter." I swallowed painfully, my mouth suddenly dry as fuck. "I'm not the Halo that you think I am. You saw me back in that hospital room. I'm still alive, and this right now is just a dream."

He flinched at my words, and then flinched again as Liam almost kicked him in the jaw.

"Halo, in a past life I loved you, you were real to me. Maybe this isn't real to you, but neither am I. I'm dead. Once you step into that hospital and return to Niall, I will still continue to be a ghost. Maybe this was a dream to you, but for me it was real."

I choked. "I can't Walter. I can't stay here. I'm going insane. I'm sorry."

I didn't want to tell him that the last few weeks had been hell. Going crazy in my bedroom, Niall's funeral, the asylum, all of it- all of it was hell. Walter had only made some times easier. But I wanted to go back home and escape this nightmare. I never should have jumped off the bridge.

Liam finally managed to hit Walter's face as he sprawled on the ground besides me. There were tears in his dark green eyes.

"It's okay. You can leave me," he said stoically.

I touched his face gently, feeling his smooth skin, and the dip of his cheeks. Cutting through the moment we were having was Liam's hand, slicing the air right by Walter's face.

"Why are you even scared of this bastard?" I asked, looking back at Liam who was circling the room like a lion.

"Him and Carter, they put you on stake a long time ago, saying you were a witch."

Facts whirled around in my brain but I still couldn't remember. Wasn't I supposed to remember my past life by now?

"Is that why you tried to save me?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, they were going to burn you, but I interjected, and they put me up in your place." He grimaced and stuffed his hands in his pockets, frowning.

"Why were you in the asylum again?"

"Carter. He was saying absurd stuff to me in my head. I told my mother about how crazy Carter was, and she took me there because she thought I was hearing voices in my head. And then Carter decided to go after me because I told on him, so he did the one thing he knew would hurt me: hurt you."