22| the tunnel

❝ but i'm a creep.
yeah, i'm a weirdo.
what the hell am i doing here.
oh, i don't belong here. ❞

- creep by radiohead

A/N: more updates to come, and then the final chapters!

☾22☽

I stumbled back into Walter, grabbing his shirt and yanking him up. "We need to find a door," I whispered, looking back at the black eyes of the demons.

He looked up at me with glistening eyes, his chest heaving as though he was actually breathing. What was wrong with him?

"No," he gasped, "there's no escape."

Anger flared inside of me. "Walter! Look at me!"

His green eyes blinked into mine before clearing slightly, his nose twitching and a slight color blossoming on his cheeks.

I stared at him in confusion before he turned around and stared at the walls, up and down.

Walter didn't turn around, his back was shaking.

"At least the lights are on," he mumbled.

Just as I felt the warmth of something on my elbow, like a flame from a matchstick, an invisible door opened- popping out of the wall. I yelped as a hand came out and grabbed Walter and I.

"Shush," a voice whispered in the new darkness.

It was Louis, his facial features were barely visible. His head was adorned by glow in the dark bunny ears. He had a choppy smile and was holding both of our hands in his. Walter stared uncomfortably at it.

"Saved you! Saved Fires from the fires!" He clapped happily, letting go of our hands.

"Um," we both whispered. My hand felt cold and small now, alone and twitchy.

"Shush!" Louis yelled, stomping his slippered foot. "I will show you, but just shut up!"

Walter's face turned towards mine, his lips twitching with amusement. I almost laughed, how ironic of him not to be scared anymore.

Louis began walking away in the dark, his hands beckoning us to follow. The outline of his glowing bunny ears lighting the way for us.

A sudden chill took my body and I wrapped my arms around my figure.

I felt a poke on my wrist as I continued walking through the dark. I turned to see Walter looking straight ahead, his elbow bent ninety degrees and his palm upturned towards me tauntingly.

Biting my lip, I lifted my hand and lay it in his soft, large one, his fingers intertwining with mine and squeezing comfortingly.

"Here," Louis said, stopping at a tunnel. "I can't go further, don't want to, but you can!"

He pushed us both, our feet stepping into the pitch black tunnel. Walter swallowed, his fingertips rubbing the knuckles on my hand worriedly. "What's down here?" He asked.

Louis shrugged. "Voices whispering about Waters, about you two. Good luck!"

And with that, he disappeared into the dark, his glowing bunny ears swallowed by the shadows.

Fear struck me. I put my other hand out and couldn't see it- it was too dark in the tunnel, like another layer of darkness over the already pitch black aura of the asylum.

"Walter?" I asked, feeling his hand in mine, but still paralyzed with fear.

"I'm here, love," he said.

Feeling his body press against my back, I sighed, but then it was choked off as I felt someone press against my forehead and chest.

And then it was gone. The pressure was gone and I lifted my hand and felt that Walter was on my side- he had always been on my side.

My hand still on his chest, he dragged me closer to him, his biceps circling around my protectively.

"I have a bad feeling," he whispered.

There was a wail like an choir singing one single chord, all different pitches.

His arms tightened around me. "I-I want to say something- just incase," he hummed in my ear.

"Okay." I was trembling.

"I'm in-" he stopped as I saw what he saw.

The ground beneath was trembling and a single light came from the end of the tunnel, showing us the splitting ground.

"Walter," I moaned, "what's happening now?"

The dirt beneath us parted, a giant crack running down the length of the tunnel. Walter separated from me as the ground opened up beneath my feet, my fingers digging into the soil to keep from falling down into the hole.

"Halo!" Walter yelled, his fingers just out of reach.

Something in my chest stirred and a cold fear took hold of me. Walter screamed for me above, his face contorted in fear as he looked behind him and screamed in even greater panic as he and I both saw that the single light down the tunnel had been coming from the flickers of matchsticks glowing, and coming towards us.

I looked down at the hole six feet deep and two feet wide; swallowing the metallic taste welling in my mouth as I saw the swelling depths were ocean water, and someone was drowning below in the salty liquid.

His black clothes clung to his frame as he scraped his fingernails into the soil around the grave, the ocean water drowning out his silent cries. It was Niall.

hello lovelies!!

i have been so unmotivated to write, and i started writing this about a year or more ago, and it is really hard, but i will continue on for you guys who are still holding on (ily)

BUT I AM FEELING MORE MOTIVATED NOW

oh, and if you're looking for something new to read, i have a story called fragile and it's pretty great ;)