08| crying clouds

❝ no rain, no flowers.

A/N: #nilo / #carlo / #halter ?

☾ 08 ☽

He was striding towards me with large steps. I didn't expect him to advance on me, and I fell back on my bum. His finger pressed against my neck, it burned.

He said, "Did it hurt?"

I didn't answer. Why did Niall ask me to be careful around Carter? All Niall did was frighten me when he said that. What could Carter possibly do- he's as harmless as a pesky fly.

"You're cheating on me." He sounded disappointed.

"No, I'm n-not," I choked out.

"Then tell me, why is there a hickey on your neck?" His voice was oddly calm.

He continued, "It was Zayn wasn't it, I always used to catch you staring at him."

"Zayn? Uhm, no. Everyone else stares at him though, he's the most popular boy in school." I shrugged, and he squinted at me.

"So you weren't staring at him when he gave you this hickey?" He was still talking calmly, but a vein on his forehead was standing out.

"N-no, I got this bruise when I jumped from the bridge. One of the waves pushed me against a really big rock," I lied. I couldn't exactly tell him Niall had given it to me after I had gotten him a bit angry.

"You're lucky I trust you, and that I love you." He ruffled his hair; twigs and leaves fell onto my floor.

My eyes drooped sleepily, goddamn he makes me tired. He smiled and embraced me tightly, making my ribs hurt slightly.

"I love you Halo, no matter what people say." He pecked his lips against mine, I felt nothing.

I detached myself from his cold arms. "What are people saying?" I frowned, this is just what I needed.

He gave me a skeptical look. "You know, I probably shouldn't say. It's kinda brutal, they're just rumors."

"Enlighten me, Carter." I crossed my arms, and even though my exterior was tough, tears pricked the corners of my eyes.

"Uhm. They say that you drank an incredible amount of alcohol, and hooked up with Zayn Malik at the party. That you did drugs that night, and ran out to the bridge, but some people saw you and were trying to stop you. Niall was one of those people, and as he neared you, you pushed him over the bridge, and threw yourself in right after." He took a big breath of air, his face was pale.

"Who told you this bullshit?" I alsked angrily.

"Francis. You know, the girl you had biology with."

"Oh god. She just thinks I'm crazy, and she probably made up a story to make other people think I'm crazy aswell," I said.

"Oh." He smiled again, and got up.

"I've gotta go because a new episode of Duck Dynasty is coming on in ten minutes!" He pulled me into him momentarily, smashing me in a hug.

"You're so dumb." I rolled my eyes, and swatted him away.

"You love me." He smiled again, and before the door shut he whispered, "I love you."

I relaxed only once I heard the front door slam close, and the sound of his noisy car engine slowly fade away.

I faced the empty room. "Niall are you there?"

He wasn't.

I got up lazily, and decided I needed fresh air after being locked indoors for days. I put on some different clothes, and tromped down the stairs. I immediately bumped into my sister.