17| bipolars

RECAP: Walter and Halo are on their way to Wesborough Mental Institute to help find Niall.

Along the way, Walter says, "Um- I-I sort of kidnapped you, is that alright?"

______________________________________

❝ today, i needed a break.
my friends were up in mountains
and i'm drowning in lakes. ❞

- i saw water by tigers jaw

A/N: sorry for taking so long, i was traveling in europe!! this chapter was long and hard to write, and i hope things are making more sense, loves

☾ 17 ☽

"What are you talking about?" I asked, not sure what Walter had meant when he said he had kidnapped me.

He moved his jaw slightly, so that his mouth was crooked, and then he rubbed his neck before fixing his eyes on me and saying, "I- your mother didn't leave you at the funeral- your mum and Francis came back to look for you after a while, and they kind of saw me run into the forest with you unconscious in my arms."

I stared at him stupidly. "Why did you take me?" I asked. "You could have just left me there."

Rolling his eyes, he said, "I'm not going to leave you all alone just when you just realized that you are a ghost. You're probably changing right as we speak, from living to dead- plus, those aren't really your parents, so you shouldn't have feelings towards them."

"You're a real asshole, you know that?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, and gave me a look of pure confusion. "What the bloody hell did I do this time?"

I shook me head slowly, my voice would probably shake if I spoke, so I just bit my tongue for a while, and looked up at the stars. My eyes focused on a plane traveling slowly through the sky like a shooting star in slow motion. I wished I could fly away- to a place where things made sense.

"My parents-" I stopped, and swallowing hard before continuing, "- I knew that they weren't my parents from the start because they told me I was adopted. Now I know that my real parents were alive centuries ago, and that my adoptive parents made up a story about them. But they kept me, for years under the pretense that I had a growing disability, and memory loss. They thought I could only remember a few years, and then my memory would be erased, and I would start over again."

I took another breath. "My parents, my fake parents, they stuck with me for God knows how long, and they loved me. They loved me even though every few years I would get up and wonder why I was in this strange house, and with no recollection of where I w-was." I choked on my words, and said, "every year they had to tell me that I was adopted, and that I had suffered from a concussion. Little did they know I was a ghost that thought she was a human, and this whole time was playing the part of a living human like an idiot!"

I stared down at my boots, wondering how I could have been so oblivious this whole time. "It's your fault," I whispered quietly, just so that my voice wouldn't break.

Walter looked like I had defeated him. His shoulders were thrown forward, and for a second I thought he was crying, but then he looked up in a flash, and said, "I'm sorry."

"I finally get what you meant when you said you were lingering," I whispered. "You died because of me, didn't you? And you stayed back on earth after you died because your reason to live wasn't fulfilled which was for me to love you- and that's why I'm here too, because it still has to be fulfilled, and I have to fall in love with you before we can both be freed from earth, and quit lingering."