Chapter 1 : In the corridor of Spandana Mental Hospital

" Do you know what is today's date?"
- "4"
" Okay. What is the name of this month? Do you know? "
My face fell off suddenly.
" Can you remember it? "
(yes. How can I forget the month of November?)
I realized that she is staring at me. So I answered.
-" yes . it's November. "
" Good. You have good memory power. "
She gave me a smile and patted on my back and started to ask other questions.
" Now can you subtract 7's from 100 until 65?"
But I didn't listen properly to her. Moreover I didn't care as I was waiting for Ajay bhaiya (brother) to bring coffee. The time was 10:45 am. I have to wait 15 minutes more as coffee time is at 11:00.
She was continuously asking some questions but I was ignoring her. Then she whispered to her friend that there is no eye to eye contact and I listened it clearly.

I know this is the daily routine of them. But I have no idea for what purposes they talk and ask questions to us. May be they have subjects in which they need to study about the mental people like us. I guess.
Like this.,each day was passing in Spandana. The funny thing is, I know most of the questions whatever they may ask to me as it was a usual thing for me. To be real, I was fed up with all these things whatever they do with me and even fed up with everything.

And today one more student is struggling like anything for getting answers.
( she looks so decent in white uniform,fair in color and has North East Indian accent. May be she is from Manipur.) I make my thought about her myself.

Again she is coming towards me. Why again?I have already ignored her. Was that not enough? This girl is really irritating me.
"Mam"
"Sorry. I will talk to you later. Please don't disturb me now."
"Okay Mam. Thank you."

She's gone now. And I am still waiting for my coffee with cup in my hand which has picture of me and my mom printed over there. This was given by my Mom on my last birthday. I am missing her so badly.
Suddenly a deep feeling came across over my mind and I got goosebumps and lost myself in deep thoughts. And as usual one devil with her body covered with dark black dress came inside me. I closed my eyes.

"Hey! Come it's coffee time. They already brought coffee." Mukherjee called me.
I startled. I felt like waking from dreams.
"Did that devil come again? Wait, we will fight together with that. But now, please come fast. Everybody has gone for coffee. Now we have to stay at last in queue." Mukherjee said to me in childish voice.
I took a deep breath, smiled and nodded my head and stood up. Then we both headed towards the queue to get coffee.
We both stood up in queue. Mukherjee was standing behind me.
(His full name is Satish Mukherjee. But I like to call him by his surname only. He's from West Bengal. This is his 8th year in Spandana and mine is 6th . We are good friends. We play together. We eat together and sometimes we both laugh together but without a reason and at last end up with tears in eyes. My life here was and is passing like this way.)

***********************************

( THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTER'S BUSINESS, PLACES, EVENTS, AND INCIDENTS ARE THE PRODUCTS OF IMAGINATION. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.)

I hope you enjoyed the 1st chapter of WORST THAN DEATH. If you see any corrections that need to be made, feel free to bring them to my attention.
Thank you for reading and please remember that you can leave me a vote for each chapter and comment as much as you would like. These are the actions that will help my story reach more readers and I would love to be able to do that.
Thank you!