Chapter 14

Chapter 14

When I was alive, I was obsessed with playing on my phone. I loved playing Candy Crush and posting things to Instagram, but now, it just seemed pointless. The afterlife sure did have its fair share of Internet addicts, but I wasn't one of them.

I guess it was because everything that I did when I was alive seemed so frivolous. I could only watch as the people I followed posted about the pizza that they had just eaten or what they were going to wear to prom. None of those things really mattered in life, did they? It wasn't like that was going to decide whether you get into Heaven or Hell.

Nevertheless, I did check every once in a while, mostly because Chloe kept texting me. It wasn't like I could reply, but I thought it was worth a look.

January 1st, 2017, 12:01 AM: Happy New Year's Ivy! I guess it's 2017 already. I don't really have a resolution this year. I always did whatever you did. If you wanted to lose weight, then I would work out with you. If you wanted to get better grades, then I would help you study. Actually, maybe I will make a resolution this year. I'm going to try to move on. I won't forget about you (I don't think I can), but I want to get on with my life, like everyone else. It's just hard sometimes. You were my best friend; they were just friends or just acquaintances. Anyways, if I am going to move on, I should probably make these a little shorter. I'll talk to you later Ivy.

January 5th, 2017, 5:45 PM: I'm still seeing that therapist, and I still don't see the point. You're gone, and it's not like some stupid therapist can fix it, no matter how hard she tries. Besides, I'm not a psycho. I'm just a normal kid. I don't need this. I just need some time to figure out my life.

January 7th, 2017, 3:36 AM: im not as think as you drnk i am sara!!11111!

January 7th, 2017, 3:38 AM: sry wrong numbre

January 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM: Ugh, I'm so sorry about that Ivy. You didn't need to see that. Anyways, I went to one of Audrey's parties, but the cops came and busted it. Needless to say, my mom is furious. I'm still a little hungover, but I think I'll be alright.

January 18th, 2017, 7:12 PM: Turns out that I have to do community service. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it's still a pain. See Ivy? This is why I need you. If you were here, then I wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place.

January 29th, 2017, 5:48 AM: I can't sleep. I had a nightmare about the day you died. I saw Anthony walking into the building, and I saw him shoot you over and over and over again. I was helpless the whole time. I wish I could have saved you. I know there's nothing that I could have done, but I still can't stop thinking about it.

February 3rd, 2017, 1:11 PM: I saw Raj Gupta's sister at lunch today. I didn't really know Raj (or any of the other kids who died, for that matter), but I did talk to Kyra a little bit. We tried to avoid talking about the shooting, but it was hard to ignore the elephant in the room. She seemed nice though. Maybe I'll talk to her again tomorrow.

February 5th, 2017, 9:56 AM: We reviewed the five stages of grief today in school. I'm not entirely sure where I am. I'm just feeling so many emotions at the same time. Sometimes, I still think that you're going to drive me to school instead of my parents (they don't trust Sara to do it anymore), so maybe I'm still in denial. But I know you're dead, and I think I'm angry about it too. Sometimes I just feel sad. I'm just a train wreck right now. Maybe that's why I'm still seeing that therapist.

February 14th, 2017, 7:23 AM: It's Valentine's Day, and I think this is the first Valentine's Day since middle school where I haven't had a date. So I guess I'll just talk to you. I miss you Ivy.

I turned off my phone and put it back in my pocket. I just wanted to see Chloe and tell her that everything would be okay. I wondered if you could come down from Heaven to visit friends and family. The FAQ page said that you couldn't, but maybe they made exceptions? Besides, they didn't say anything about what would happen in Hell.

"Now serving Number 586! Number 586, please come to the front of the room! Number 586! To all others: remember that numbers may be called out of order. Number 586!"

I slumped back into my chair. If only this had never happened. Then maybe things would have been normal. As it was, I had made a few friends in the afterlife. Samantha was like the cool older sister that I never had, and Raj, Jack, and Henri were at least tolerable. Maya was annoying, but it could have been worse. None of them could replace my friends back home though.

Nothing could replace the life that I had lost.